sydeamon
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 7577 - Graphics Card & Display Issues

Greetings all. I have Dell Inspiron 7577 with 7577 Intel Core i7 7700HQ 8GB 1TB + 128GB SSD GTX1050Ti card. 

I have tried to my Oculus Rift headset and it didn't work. It seems HDMI port is hardwired to Intel integrated card and there is no way to make it listen Nvidia card instead. Because VR apps always say you must connect the headset to your primary graphics card. Now obviously the config of the laptop is more than enough to run VR apps, but because of that annoying problem I cannot use my laptop for gaming or for VR apps. Even if you force the laptop to use Nvidia card all the time, since HDMI and (possibly) Thunderbolt 3 ports are hardwired to Intel card, it will not make any difference if you want to use your external TV, monitor or headset to use.

My questions are,

1) Is it correct to assume that there is no way to use HMDI port or Thunderbolt 3 port for gaming related or VR related functions? Nvidia card signals can only be received by the main monitor of the laptop and other display ports cannot be used for gaming or Premiere editing purposes? (Premiere also requires 3d graphics card for some rendering functions, without it the performance will be greatly reduced, so if I want to edit videos with my 4K TV for example, that means the performance will be low right?)

2) I did never use Thunderbolt 3 port (it is USB 3.1, Type C, Grade 2 port) because none of my monitors or TVs have that kind of an input. I'm planning to buy this adapter => 

https://urun.gittigidiyor.com/bilgisayar-tablet/4k-destekli-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-kablo-mac-macbo...

But even with that, does it mean I can only receive 4K 60 hertz signal from the laptop but still I cannot use my Nvidia card with Thunderbolt port? Because the integrated HDMI port's version is 1.4 as far as I know, which means it can only send 30p 4K signal to the TV. It can be enough if I only want to watch movies, since movies are all 24fps medias and having 60p instead of 30p wouldn't make much a difference right? But if I want to play games at 60fps than that means I need a higher bandwidth, and Thunderbolt can solve this in theory IF I can use the port with my Nvidia card. So can I ? 

As a note, I checked BIOS settings and options and cannot find an option to force HDMI port to listen Nvidia card instead of Intel card, or disable Intel card at all. 

Thanks in advance for your help guys, much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sydeamon
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 7577 - Graphics Card & Display Issues

Can't anyone help me, please?

0 Kudos