lolametro
2 Iron

Re: Dell Inspiron 7577 NVMe SSD write speed slow

0 Kudos
NicolaZaltron
1 Copper

Has anybody tried the latest ssd drivers from dell? Version AADA4104, A00 released 12 Apr 2018.
I'm just wondering how to install them without data loss (installation process is quite cryptic) and how to ceck and eventually set AHCI over RAID for the drive settings, any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Shonik3
1 Copper

Why data loss?
Anyway, since i have read that AHCI is a "old" standard, lined to sata drives, why should increase performance setting AHCI instead of raid on, since m.2 drive is pcie?
0 Kudos
qqqwerty
1 Copper

You would need to set Windows to boot in Safe Mode during next startup.

After this is done, it would be safe to change to AHCI.

AHCI.jpg

0 Kudos
T-Map
1 Copper

I have an XPS 13 9370 and was experiencing ~350 Mb/s seq write in CrystalDiskMark with Toshiba XG5 kxg50znv256g.  Was about to throw this expensive POS out the window.  Read all the other discussions trying different modes/AHCI drivers,flusing settings, etc.  None worked. 

I tried this AADA4104 4/12/18 firmware update and it didn't seem to do much at first (tried both RAID/AHCI), still ~350MB/s or less seq write. However, I did Windows 10 system restore today and now my speeds are much better.  I only tried in RAID mode and getting around Read ~2800 MB/s and Write ~1070 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark 6 while laptop is plugged in.  So, maybe the combo of firmware update and fresh Windows install did the trick for me.

Makes me wonder about this Dell moderator's response that the drive's slow writes were 'working as designed'

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Dell-M-2-FAQ-regarding-AHCI-vs-RAID-ON-Storage-Driver...

0 Kudos
T-Map
1 Copper

Well that didn't last...my write speeds suck again.  Maybe the windows cumulative update did something.  I hate this drive.

0 Kudos
Shonik3
1 Copper

it should really be a drive issue limit!

Please post your latest benchmark!

0 Kudos
Shonik3
1 Copper

testhd2.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
T-Map
1 Copper

Today, I downloaded the new Win 10 April update.  Tested afterwards.  Seq write speeds still ~350/MBs.  The Windows update created a 450mb OEM partition that was bothering me. It was weird because I updated 5 other PCs in my house and none had this partition created.  So I downloaded AOMEI free partition software to delete it since couldn't do it in Win Disk Managment.  After deletion, I couldn't merge the unpartitioned space with windows partition C: (OS). I guessed the issue was it was Bitlocker Encrypted so I went to Search Manage Bitlocker settings.  The settings stated C: was waiting for Bitlocker activation and there was no option to turn it off. I researched how to disable, launched administrative command prompt and ran the following command manage-bde -off X:

This started decrypting drive.  After a little while, the Bitlocker settings said Bitlocker was off.  I then was able to merge my unpartitioned space with drive C:

Then I ran Crystal Disk Mark again and got the following:Capture4.JPGCapture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

Please check your Bitlocker Encryption settings and try turning them off if on and report your results here.

0 Kudos
NicolaZaltron
1 Copper

@T-Mapwrote:

I have an XPS 13 9370 and was experiencing ~350 Mb/s seq write in CrystalDiskMark with Toshiba XG5 kxg50znv256g.  Was about to throw this expensive POS out the window.  Read all the other discussions trying different modes/AHCI drivers,flusing settings, etc.  None worked. 

I tried this AADA4104 4/12/18 firmware update and it didn't seem to do much at first (tried both RAID/AHCI), still ~350MB/s or less seq write. However, I did Windows 10 system restore today and now my speeds are much better.  I only tried in RAID mode and getting around Read ~2800 MB/s and Write ~1070 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark 6 while laptop is plugged in.  So, maybe the combo of firmware update and fresh Windows install did the trick for me.

Makes me wonder about this Dell moderator's response that the drive's slow writes were 'working as designed'

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Dell-M-2-FAQ-regarding-AHCI-vs-RAID-ON-Storage-Driver...

Are you on win10 1803? which built?

0 Kudos