Highlighted

Dell Inspiron 7577 freezes constantly since day one!

Since I bought this notebook it is freezing in multiple situations even when I increase or decrease the volume! I also noticed that the mouse cursor freezes without nothing actually heavy running on the computer.

After checking drivers (Dell update or directly with the device manufacture), Windows 10 update (from 1709 to 1803), and processes running, I decided to format the SSD and start from scratch (erased all partitions).

The computer is behaving much better now (even tough it is missing all the built in Dell softwares and drivers), but I can still notice small and quick freezes every now and then.

I have been trying to diagnose and fix this issue since I bought this notebook November of 2017. What should I do? Can I get my money back?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
S1lentSymph0ny
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Inspiron 7577 freezes constantly since day one!

Sounds like the known issue with Dual GPU laptops and Windows 10.  There is nothing you and the countless people on the internet complaining that their laptops stutter randomly can do to fix it.  Microsoft will have to fix it.  Last I heard they are targeting the Fall 2018 update for the fix.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/119093

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/critical-bug-intel-nvidia-l...

I'm on the Insider Builds and the stuttering has mostly been fixed but some actions will still cause a momentary freeze. 

My advice would be to try to ignore it.

0 Kudos
apandey287
2 Iron

Make sure you are not on power saving mode! Sometimes when the CPU is idle and you move the cursor, the CPU usage becomes 100% and you will see a stutter in the mouse. So don't use power saving mode while doing work.

Type "Edit Power Plan" in Cortana search box < Change advanced power settings< Expand " PCI Express" < Expand " Link State Power Management" < Turn it off (for both battery and plugged in ).

If you experience Screen freeze like you can't do anything except shutting down pc using the power button, you can refresh the screen by pressing the commands In brackets  (Windows Key+Ctrl+Shift+B)

0 Kudos

Thank you @S1lentSymph0ny and @apandey287 for you help.

I'm 100% sure that my notebook is not in any energy saving mode impacting the performance and the amount of time it freezes is also not related to video card switching.

Since I always use my notebook with an external monitor I didn't realize this before, but when I unplugged my external monitor (HP 27es) the notebook behaved basically perfectly fine (freezes were gone!). I still need to test some other scenarios and figure out if the issue is an incompatibility of this notebook with this specific monitor or any monitor.

0 Kudos
gladiator811
1 Copper

Update the latest bios and the problem will be solved. I had the same problem before.

0 Kudos
Gorinsho
1 Copper

I had the same issues, constant freezing. I have this hooked up to an external UHD ultrawide monitor, and it would freeze at the most random times. I searched every post, tried every tweak, even had Dell replace two motherboards at their recommendation. What worked? I got mine with a minuscule 120gb that held the OS and wanted to upgrade, so I did and put in a 500gb. I decided to completely wipe all Dell and Intel software off the table and try a completely fresh Windows 10 install. I haven't frozen since and it's been two weeks. 

This combined with that I had originally had the display on both screens when I closed the clamshell, I changed it to extend, which when closes extends to the UHD but does not double the image. 

Either one of these two options worked, but they worked. It's a great laptop once you move past the freezing issues. 

0 Kudos