Shield_Liger
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 8000

Hi Guys.

Long time Computer User here. Started with a Commodore Vic 20 when they were "new." It's pretty amazing how far the technology has come over the years.

I recently was given a Dell Inspiron 8000 that someone was ready to chuck into the dumpster. I am really happy about this because there is some software I need to run that will only work on 32-bit machines running nothing newer than windows Vista 32, or older than Windows 98 SE. I got a power supply for it and fired up the machine. Everything works great. The battery is dead, which is fine, as this will only be used to run this one piece of software (Sony Minidisc Stuff). I removed and recycled the battery core and left the batt case in the machine.

I logged onto Dell here and entered my Dell Equipment which includes two awesome old Optiplexes and this laptop. The problem is that the website does not recognize the service tag for my laptop. I just wanted to register it and see what all was in the original configuration and where it is now. I was also planning to contact Dell and see if they could help me out with a small issue or two.

It looks like the former owner put windows Vista on it, but the license tag says it should have Windows 2000 Professional 1-2 CPU. Not sure where I am going to be able to get OEM install media, but I'd prefer to put it back to factory original, if I could.

So does anyone know how to let Dell know that I'd like to get the info on my machine onto the website? I checked the service tag and the one on the laptop matches the one listed in the BIOS, so I know it's at least most of what it was originally. The website let me register the tag, but the configuration page comes up blank. I'd connect to an RJ-45 ethernet if I had one and try to see if that worked, but in my current situation, I can only access the internet via wifi at our local library. Plus, I doubt there's a web browser that will run on that old machine and be able to utillize this website anyway.

Kindest Regards,

John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell Inspiron 8000

I doubt anything in its late teenage years will have a database entry in Dell's configuration system at this point - and Windows 2000 is essentially useless online for anything - since it hasn't been updated for security in  years.

At this point - and it's just for the next 18 months, before it enters history -- Windows 7 is the oldest Windows that's  updated enough to use safely online.

You may be able to get a lightweight version of Linux to run on this system, if you must use it online.

0 Kudos
Shield_Liger
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 8000

Hi. Thanks for the response.

I've been a part time Linux user since Redhat 4.2 and a full time Linux user since 2007. It is my OS of choice for all of my equipment.

The reason I need "this" laptop is to run "certain" Sony software that was locked to only work with certain Windows Operating Systems from about 2002 to 2008. This laptop fits that date range.

I have no intention of using the machine for anything other than running that software (Sony Net MD Software). Its purpose is to do one thing, and that is program my NetMD equipment.

It will never be used for anything else.

0 Kudos