Highlighted

Dell Inspiron N4050 AMD gpu removal

Is there any chance that I could remove AMD gpu from the motherboard? I saw some pictures of the same motherboard and this gpu was removed. It malfunctions and always gives me trouble, I want it to be not recognized by the system at all. Is it possible? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell Inspiron N4050 AMD gpu removal

No -- and the system will not function without the GPU.  If you want a non-AMD mainboard, you will need to replace the board with one having Intel only video.

0 Kudos

I also have Intel video, AMD is disabled and I go with only Intel video. So AMD has nothing to do with my system's working now, yet would my machine malfuction if AMD is removed? I thought removal can be possible after I saw this kind of pictures of the motherboard which AMD card seems to be removed:dell-x0dc1-cn-0x0dc1-for-dell-14r-n4050-motherboard

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

There is no "card"- it's a chip soldered to the board with hundreds of micro-solder points.  By the time to ship the board to someone capable of removing the GPU (with no guarantee the board will even function on the integrated GPU), it'll cost far less to simply buy a 4050 board.

The boards cost about $50.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263219093070?chn=ps

For that matter, entire working N4050 systems are likely $100 or less - this is after all an 8-year old notebook.

0 Kudos