Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

6 Posts

November 17th, 2020 07:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 - Slow Wifi Speeds after replacing CMOS Battery

Hi

I recently changed the CMOS (Coin) battery on my Dell Inspiron N5110 as the laptop failed to shut down properly. After replacing the battery that issue is now resolved. However, since using my computer again, I'm getting really slow Wifi speeds when I take my laptop away from the router.

For example, if I run a speed internet test in a different room on different devices I get the following download speeds:

- Dell Laptop - 1mbs

- Iphone - 25mbs

- MacBook - 30 mbs

So it feels like something has gone wrong on my Dell laptop. I was really careful when I replaced the battery so Im convinced I didn't knock the wireless adapter. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I wasn't sure whether I should buy a usb WIFI adapter that might get me a stronger connection?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 17th, 2020 07:00

It might, but chances are you disconnected one or both of the antenna terminals inadvertently when you had the system apart to replace the reserve battery.  it's worth checking.

November 18th, 2020 03:00

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Just opened it up and it looks fine.

Its very strange, I just went close to the router where I get good speeds, and kept running a speed test pace by pace to where it begins to drop. I got good speeds right to the room where it drops. But then after 10 minutes, it dropped back down. Doesn't make any sense!

Any other ideas? Or best bet to buy a usb adapter?

Cheers

No Events found!