Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 04:00

Dell PC keeps booting up to diagnostic boot test

On startup of my PC it boots to diagnostic boot test on it's own without me pressing any button on startup. I have carried out all the tests and it says no error..on exit it reboots to the diagnostic boot test without me pressing any button. I have carried out the tests several times but it doesn't still boot normally. I haven't been able to use my PC because of this diagnostic boot test continuous sequence for over a month.

Please I need a solution to this so that my PC would boot normally

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

October 9th, 2018 06:00

Run an extended (NOT just the quick) test on both the memory and hard drive.  Let the quick tests run, and then do the selective tests.  If you have a large hard drive, these tests will take several hours.

If you need further assistance, post the complete system model (i.e., Inspiron 7779, etc.) along with the numeric code from any extended diagnostic errors (i.e., 2000-0142, -0151, etc.) that appear.

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 12:00

Hey,

I carry out the extended and selective test every time the diagnostic boot test comes up (and that test is pretty long for over 4hours) and it always says no error found. So I don't get it..if there isn't any error why does it always continue the diagnostic boot test sequence every time. My system model is DELL INSPIRON 14-34 5813-50054.

Please I really need a solution.
                                                Thanks

1 Message

October 20th, 2018 07:00

I have a similar problem with my Inspiron 17 7000 series laptop. No errors  - but the sound is stuck on mute.  I can adjust the sound to loud but then it goes down to mute on it's own. And the slider stays on the screen.  Troubleshooter says the audio is muted. But I can't un mute it.

I always recommended dell but now I need a solution.

1 Message

March 26th, 2019 10:00

I have the same problem on my Dell Inspiron. Been over a year and nothing seems to fix it. All started after an MS update. Messed up my keypad. MS tried to fix but made it worse. 

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 10:00

I have the same issue and I have also an Inspiron 17-7000 series. I hope that Dell take this anoying Problem serious, if they see it occurrs on more machines. It took realy time to investigate it and time is Money.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 9th, 2019 10:00

Do you get a Support Assist diagnostic screen on startup?

Does this come every time you restart or turn on the system?

What is the exact system model on the 7000 series?

Did this issue start after an update?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.         

How to locate the service tag

2 Posts

April 9th, 2019 12:00

Hi, thanks for answering.

A full symptons description is as follows:

My exact System model is Inspiron 17-7779

The symptoms occurr when Shutdown the  System and then start it up again, but not on rebooting.

On Startup I see the message "Diagnostic Boot selected" in yellow letters on the Right upper Corner of the screen.

System is running some diagnostics. The diagnostic tool has the title "Preboot-System-Assesment".

Then the diagnostic tool tells me that my battery is weak.

When the diagnostics are finished I click Exit and the System will boot normal.

Remember it Comes only when I turn on the System, but not when I reboot the System. 

1 Message

April 26th, 2019 08:00

Was anyone able to solve this?  I have the exact same problem with my Dell.

1 Message

May 1st, 2019 08:00

Hello everyone,

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?  I have made multiple support requestions and spent more that 2 hours on the phone with technical support and I have yet to get this resolved.  They stated that they have no knowledge of this being an issue with anyone else.

I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide.

Thanks so much.

Michelle

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 1st, 2019 09:00

Please disable the following options in BIOS.

1. SMART reporting under system configurations
  2. Adapter warnings under post behavior.
  3. Auto OS recovery threshold under Support Assist Resolution.

Do you have any external device connected like an external hard drive, SD card?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.     

How to locate the service tag

1 Message

April 3rd, 2020 12:00

This post is over a year old and I have just started having this problem.  Diagnostic test always runs when I turn on the computer, only error is that battery is nearing the end  of useful life and then  when the computer finished startup the speakers are muted  and will not unmute.  I have tried the  things suggested here and  still no luck.  Is there a  solution to this  issue?

1 Message

May 7th, 2020 22:00

I have an old Dell latitude p57g (inspiron 7352 I think). Ends up that the power button is too close to the +volume button (mechanical keys), and over time the +volume button was being constantly depressed.

I opened up the laptop, got a razor, and sliced back the rubber mechanical connection on the volume button.

Bad design. Problem solved.  I arrived at this solution after seeing this link:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln115162/resolve-hardware-issues-with-built-in-and-online-diagnostics-supportassist-epsa-epsa-or-psa-error-codes?lang=en

Entering the Built-in Diagnostics on a Windows Tablet:

1. Power on the system and immediately press the Volume Up button before the Dell Logo Splash screen is displayed. This will access the Boot Menu.
  2. Either touch Diagnostics onscreen, or press the Volume Up button to move the pointer to Diagnostics.
  3. Press the Volume Down button to confirm your selection and start the ePSA utility.

1 Message

June 17th, 2020 01:00

I've been having the same issue since this morning, with the exact same error.

Any solutions?

10 Posts

July 4th, 2020 06:00

I too have had this problem today, but only once so far on 6 week old Inspiron 5593.
I was fine yesterday but this morning on start up it went to Pre-boot diagnostics.

Did all the tests but no errors.

Also earlier this week I had a BlueScreen stop code "Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error" when using Skype but again after all tests no errors were found.

Not sure if the 2 things are connected but its pretty poor for a laptop that is rarely used

1 Message

August 7th, 2020 04:00

Hi,

My Dell laptop 13 7378 also has the same problems:

1. message that the battery is at the end of its use life
  2. start with diagnostic boot each time it is turned on

I have done everything that I could think of:

• replaced a brand new genuine Dell battery - the battery message does not come on anymore

however, after doing all of the following:

• run all of the Dell diagnostic tests many many times (intentionally & unintentionally) - nothing wrong about the computer
  • reset the computer to its original factory state
  • updating all Dell firmware & other software, etc... 
  • running antivirus software multiple times. 
  • cleaned & deleted all unnecessary files, app, programs, 

the "diagnostic booting" problem is still there. I am running out of solution, trying to contact Dell to get some support.

does anyone know how to fix the problem? thanks. 

No Events found!