Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

April 27th, 2019 11:00

Dell Power Manager unable to change thermal setting

Inspiron 17 7000 is very loud when gaming.  Attempting to change Thermal setting to anything besides the default in Dell Power Manager shows a warning messager.

Warning: Unable to apply the selected Thermal Management setting

Is there a way to set this setting in the Dell Power Manager for this computer?

42 Posts

April 28th, 2019 01:00

I had this issue also , but one of the bios releases allowed me to use it . That was stopped in the latest bios. I would avoid updating bios at all costs ,others ,including myself ,have found that causes more issues than it cures. Keep an eye on your temps ,cpu and gpu ,and if they are not excessive then leave well alone. If CPU or GPU get overly hot ,then I would suggest perhaps a re-paste of thermal compound ,if still under a warranty get the repair centre to do it. I just had heat issues with a 15-7000 series and ended up with new mobo and fan under warranty. HWinfo or CPU-Z or RealTemp64 should help monitor the temps etc. Others have posted re: undervolting etc. but I am relactant to go there incase of any issues again.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 18:00

This is a brand new laptop.  I've already updated everything via the Support tool including the BIOS.

42 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 08:00

Following the repair the temps are a little better ,but, they still hit 100 degs on a regular basis. I think this something Dell need to sort out by way of bios update or software fan control to give options like Active / Passive /and Performance. I just don't think the fans cut in early enough. If you laptop is less than 30 days old you could always request a replacement.

4 Posts

May 6th, 2019 10:00

Sorry, but your problem is unrelated to mine.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2019 17:00

I'm still looking for answers for this.

42 Posts

May 30th, 2019 11:00

Dell have released a new bios to fix this exact issue of not being able to change thermal settings.

My laptop is 15 7000 series Model 7580 ,latest bios is 1.7.0 and fixes the issue.

Assuming your updates are the same as my model this bios sorts the problem.

Please check model specific downloads for bios for your model.

No Events found!