Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

33 Posts

August 7th, 2020 07:00

Dell Update is stuck

My system has been stuck trying to update for over four hours at 10% the entire time. I've been through three reboots during this time (invoked my myself not Dell Update). Is there a way to reset the Dell Update software?

What is the best procedure when this happens.

Thanks

dell_update.png

33 Posts

August 7th, 2020 12:00

Here are the steps I had to take to get to a solution, Dell support did not help me on this one.

1.) Went to the official drivers page for my system model and found the Dell Update app.

2.) Downloaded the Dell Update app and had to use the downloaded version to perform an uninstall of previous version. After many attempts to uninstall Dell Update, this is the only way I was able to. By downloading the newest version of the Dell Update app from Dell website and using it to remove previous version.

3.) Using the newly download Dell Update app (I reinstalled). I was able it to work.

Regarding my point about things being "duct taped together" I've had the computer less than a month and already had 3 BIOS updates... Something shipped way too early now didn't it. Garbage. 

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647538268269.png

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 7th, 2020 07:00

Did you just reboot or do a hard shutdown? Do a complete shutdown, wait a bit and then start again. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter if that doesn't work. 

Make sure to plug in the adapter anytime you update. Do not use the battery alone.

33 Posts

August 7th, 2020 08:00

dell_settings.png

The adapter is plugged in. I performed a full shut down, proceeded to wait 2 minutes and reboot. When I launch Dell Update, I'm prompted to click "Check for Updates" when I do that, I see the same info shown in the screen cap in my top post... "10% waiting on operation to complete"

Is there not a way to reset/reinstall just the Dell Updates app or clear its cache, something? As the screen shot above shows, I have gone through the steps of attempting to repair and reset the app. I find it hard to believe that with Dell an app this important would be that poorly designed? If it is, I suppose I'm perpetually stuck now without Update automation. Perhaps I can manually do the installs.

Lesson learned here, Windows 10 is still the nightmare it always was and even going with the best rated vendors like Dell, everything is still just duct taped together under the hood.

#broken_vendor_software_that_steals_your_time

Jeremy

August 10th, 2020 05:00

So this morning I ran into this issue. Dell Update wanted update Dell Update, it failed with an error, then re-running it left it in the 10% complete stage. I did what @Jdeats did and that worked. Thanks!

15 Posts

August 27th, 2020 04:00

I too had the same thing happen recently. I removed Dell Update and reinstalled it a few times but it still did the same. In the end, I removed Dell Update and after a week reinstalled it and it now works OK... so far.

1 Message

October 25th, 2020 14:00

For me the additional Dell Support Assist was the issue; uninstalled it and Dell Update works just fine...

9 Posts

October 26th, 2020 15:00

I'm having this same issue. I tried the solution suggested here and it's still stuck at 10%. I've installed and uninstalled several times. Should I just try back in a few days?

9 Posts

October 31st, 2020 16:00

Today I uninstalled Dell Update and Support Assist. I reinstalled Dell Update only. I ran Dell Update successfully. Then I reinstalled Support Assist. I ran Support Assist successfully. 

I tried to run Dell Update again and AGAIN it's hung up at 10%. So this appears to be a conflict between Support Assist and Dell Update.

Anyone have any ideas?

No Events found!