Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 14:00

Dell adapter not detected. Plugged in, not charging.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 i3543 which I bought 2.5 years ago. Now I get this error whenever I start the laptop:

"The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.

The battery may not charge.

The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

Please connect a Dell 65 W adapter or greater for the best system performance.

Strike the F3 key (before F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning message again.

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

I am using the original battery and 65W adapter that came with the laptop. The laptop works with the adapter and with the battery, the only problem is the adapter won't charge the battery. Both the battery and adapter are working fine. My brother has the same laptop, and I charged my battery with my adapter on his laptop and it charged normally.

I have done a BIOS update and tried the steps outlined here. Neither of them solved the problem.

In the BIOS the status of my adapter is "unknown".

What can I do?

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 14:00

First thing to try is a new, OEM Dell adapter (or test yours on a system not known to have the issue;  if it works there, or the replacement adapter fails to show up),

Replace the DC jack in the system:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=16298

If that doesn't get the adapter recognized, replace the mainboard(motherboard) - it's the charge circuit that's bad (which cannot be replaced separately from the mainboard).

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

(edited)

2 Posts

February 13th, 2018 14:00

I just fixed this issue last night with my Inspiron 15 7559 with the original 130W adapter, about the same age as yours. For the last weeks I tried followed all the troubleshooting guides, uninstall/reinstall drivers, tried friend's same-model charger, running Dell Diagnostics, all Windows/Program set to stock settings. No luck. What weirdly ended up working right away was disabling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method driver with the battery and charger installed as normal, then just reenabling the driver. 

Worth a try for anyone else I suppose.

May 2nd, 2018 06:00

Sooo i have an Inspiron 14r n4110 and I'm having the exact same problem i need my laptop to do my homework and yes I know its an old laptop but i game on it with an mini pcie egpu setup with a 1070 ti. Anyways it shows that same thing and it lowers my cpu and gpu clock speeds so it makes my gaming experience horrible worse than intel graphics. HELLLPPPPPPP

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 20:00

I've had this problem since I first bought my laptop. Dell even replaced the motherboard while it was still under warranty, but the problem came back. Apparently it's a common problem with Dell laptops. I can't tell you what to do to fix it, but I know that I won't be buying another Dell computer after this.

1 Message

November 12th, 2018 17:00

I have bought 3 new ac adapters for my wife's dell laptop within the past month trying to resolve the unknown adapter issue.   I will not be buying another Dell either.  We both bought the same model at Best Buy a few years ago.  So angry at dell, I bought an Accer and haven't had any problems with it.  Not sure what to do about my Wife's laptop.  Might try unplugging and re-installing the battery.   Dell should drop the price of all of their computers to a few hundred dollars or advertise them as disposable computers.  They last a month or two after warrentie and die after that.  The laptop I bought my daughter will be the last.  Accer from now on.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2018 16:00

Same problem. Dell 5568 Inspiron 2-in-1. 2 yrs old. Battery would not charge, AC adapter not recognized, but would still allow laptop to power up. This is the original AC adapter.

Tried the "uninstall Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" driver solution - didn't work.

Updated BIOS (had to forceit since battery was < 10%) - this worked for a day, then problem reappeared. 

The AC adapter works fine on a different Dell Laptop.

Tried a different Dell AC adapter (also 45 watt / 19.5v - same as OEM), would not work. 

Tried a 130 watt 19.5v Dell charger, and it works!

The problem, in my opinion, is obviously a firmware / driver / BIOS issue with the Dell laptop. I'm not impressed.

My only resort will be to find a similar 130watt AC adapter  (can't keep the one I tested with)  and use it instead of the OEM 45 watt.

6 Posts

November 19th, 2018 09:00

I too had this problem with My Dell M2800. The original adapter is 130 W. I got a new battery Dell 97 whr 9-cell replacing the old 6 cell battery. Initially the battery gave me hard time and it never charged above 99%. After a few days I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and there comes more challenges. My Adapter was shown as 'Unknown' in BIOS settings, and it started giving me error for using adapter below 130 W. So, when I plugged in this 130 W charger, it showed the power but with status 'not charging'. As a hit and try , I used another adapter which was 65 W and plugged-in. The battery status changed to 'charging'. I let it charge and after 1.5 hours, the status for battery was '100% charged'. I restarted with system, plugged-in the original 130 W charger, and the issue seems to have resolved. This is hit and try for me. Please give it a try before making any hardware related changes or spending huge bucks.

November 30th, 2018 03:00

I resolved this problem in my laptop following the steps of the link below. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-windows-10-laptop-thats-plugged-in-but-not-charging/

1 Message

December 14th, 2018 18:00

I had the same problem with my Dell inspiron 7567 and i did this. Shut down your laptop and disconect the battery. Connect the AC Adapter then open your laptop. Close your laptop again and connect the battery while the AC Adapter is still plugged in. It worked for me and now is charging again. I will come back with a edit if it stops working again and then i will send it to warranty.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2019 01:00

My laptop is Inspiron 13 7000 series and bought it 9 months ago. I face the same problem as ac adapter does not recognize and battery status is plugged in not charging. At early stage I removed the ac plug from the outlet and plug it again. The problem is resolved. After 1 week I cannot resolved using above method and the method suggested by Dell support website. So, I brought it to the service centre of Local distributor and when they tested it , there is no problem. When I tested in my home it cannot be charged again. I don't understand.

9.4K Posts

January 7th, 2019 08:00

Hi Ychan,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

When the service center tested your system did they use your ac adapter or a different one?  If so, is the adapter you have grounded?  Does it have 3 prongs or 2?  Sometimes if the plug is not grounded properly it may not work as designed.

How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues?

If you need additional assistance and the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call.

1 Message

February 4th, 2019 23:00

Although your post is old, I wanted to add my 2 cents. I bought my Dell XPS 15 L502x in 2011-2012. It became unusable within the year....the jack for the adapter.  A tech couldn't replace it because it's part of the motherboard. I opted not to pay to ship it off for tech service, and got a new laptop. I've used the Dell as backup, so light use. Shortly after the jack problem, I had to replace the battery, which I did. But then it started the "plugged in, not charging" thing. I had that on another computer, so I thought I could fix it (in the other laptop I had, it was an icon thing; the laptop was really charging. It just SAID it wasn't charging. So I just had to turn the icon on and off.) That wasn't the problem with the Dell, though.

My BIOS is outdated, so it could be that, but you have to have both adapter & charged battery to do that, so I can't update BIOS unless I buy a charged battery.  BUT here's a message I did find that is perplexing. I right click on the icon, click on DELL BATTERY METER, and at top it says "Battery Charging Disabled."  There is a box at bottom to click on to disable battery charging, but that box is not checked.  

In setup (click on F2 at startup), it says my adapter is "UNKNOWN." My adapter is an official Dell brand 130W for my XPS 15 L502x (identical to the one that came with the laptop). It was a replacement. It powers the laptop just fine. But the laptop just will not charge a battery.

So I am guessing it's rigged to where I had to buy a certain adapter directly from Dell (?), so the laptop won't recognize the adapter, or it could be that jack issue I had early on (which would be too expensive to fix, esp now that my laptop is older). 

All the fixes that people recommend & use about taking battery out, plugging & unplugging things, and such. I've done all that numerous times. That's not the issue with mine.

I may buy another replacement adapter. If that doesn't work, I'll just continue to use it with the adapter only, as a backup laptop. I'm using my new laptop for everyday business, so that's fine. It's an ASUS. I also had a Toshiba after the Dell, which was great until I dropped it.  I won't be buying another Dell. This laptop has had serious issues ever since about 10 mos. after I bought it.  It was pretty pricey at the time, but my

February 16th, 2019 13:00

Same problem Inspiron 17 model 5759... Bought a new battery thinking the battery wasn't taking a charge. Same problem with new battery.  Tried the suggestion of removing battery then starting up on just power adapter. I went ahead and installed the battery without shutting computer down and battery started charging.

22 Posts

February 17th, 2019 05:00

There seems to be multiple causes for this.

I had a Inspiron 15 7559 and after about six months the cables just fall apart. Previously they've always lasted a couple of years or more. I'm hoping that Dell have got that sorted out now.

March 15th, 2019 14:00

Yours did it!! I tried 10 other ones that didn't work and almost gave up. Thanks!!

No Events found!