Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell adapter not detected. Plugged in, not charging.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 i3543 which I bought 2.5 years ago. Now I get this error whenever I start the laptop:

"The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.

The battery may not charge.

The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

Please connect a Dell 65 W adapter or greater for the best system performance.

Strike the F3 key (before F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning message again.

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

I am using the original battery and 65W adapter that came with the laptop. The laptop works with the adapter and with the battery, the only problem is the adapter won't charge the battery. Both the battery and adapter are working fine. My brother has the same laptop, and I charged my battery with my adapter on his laptop and it charged normally.

I have done a BIOS update and tried the steps outlined here. Neither of them solved the problem.

In the BIOS the status of my adapter is "unknown".

What can I do?

38 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Dell adapter not detected. Plugged in, not charging.

First thing to try is a new, OEM Dell adapter (or test yours on a system not known to have the issue;  if it works there, or the replacement adapter fails to show up),

Replace the DC jack in the system:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=16298

If that doesn't get the adapter recognized, replace the mainboard - it's the charge circuit that's bad (which cannot be replaced separately from the mainboard).

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have an Inspiron 13 had the same issue.  I did all the retry drivers, etc.

I came across this.  I pulled the DC jack.  Hit it with canned air to see if there was anything in the jack.  Also disconnected the DC jack from the motherboard. 

Put it all back together and its is working fine.

Could it be that the DC jack and the Power cord barrel are just dirty or that disconnecting the DC jack from the mother board is like a power reset?

Thanks for the DC jack idea.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just fixed this issue last night with my Inspiron 15 7559 with the original 130W adapter, about the same age as yours. For the last weeks I tried followed all the troubleshooting guides, uninstall/reinstall drivers, tried friend's same-model charger, running Dell Diagnostics, all Windows/Program set to stock settings. No luck. What weirdly ended up working right away was disabling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method driver with the battery and charger installed as normal, then just reenabling the driver. 

Worth a try for anyone else I suppose.

Highlighted

Sooo i have an Inspiron 14r n4110 and I'm having the exact same problem i need my laptop to do my homework and yes I know its an old laptop but i game on it with an mini pcie egpu setup with a 1070 ti. Anyways it shows that same thing and it lowers my cpu and gpu clock speeds so it makes my gaming experience horrible worse than intel graphics. HELLLPPPPPPP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I had the same problem last month, also did the same thing and it worked...after getting the new Win 10 1803 update, the problem showed up again, but today I tried the "driver" fix with no results...still not charging....anyone else with the same issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have had this problem for nearly a year ( Inspiron 17 7377) and Dell has never had any solution to fix it. They replaced every component except the HD and it still failed. Front line customer support was worthless (although to be fair, their warranty service is far superior) and some of the solutions, including that from CNET, were an utter failure.... until I noticed a connection between the BIOS update from Dell 5/2018 (A16) and the detection problem. After attempting to troubleshoot the BIOS, I found that, at least on my system, if I reboot, start system settings (press F12 as soon as PC starts) and run the BIOS diagnostics, after it is completed: Viola', it recognizes the AC adapter. It takes about 5-6 minutes to complete the basic tests - no need for the expansive memory tests- and this solution has worked without fail every time. I brought this to the attention of Dell support, but since I'm out of warranty, they asked my to send the laptop to them for "7-10 days for diagnostic testing". Again, as someone mentioned this is a Dell problem, and most likely with their BIOS.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have 2 laptops (XPS 12 and Inspiron 13 7000)with the same problem, unknown adapter, plugged in but not charging. Regardless of the power brick use, same message from both. Run all steps, nothing, used an cable adapter from thick to thin plug and used a bigger adapter from an Inspiron 11 3000 that works like a charm on the 11 and nothing. However if the battery is fully drained the laptop is charging. I agree with the comment above that the problem is with the BIOS as I am able to charge with battery drained when nothing is loading but as soon as BIOS is loaded the adapter shows as unknown. Having this any troubleshooting steps in Windows are useless. What I want to know is why this is happening with the expensive machines while the cheapo one runs like a charm???

Highlighted
1 Copper

Guys definitely give this a try, nothing else worked for me but this did. THANK YOU

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

It is not worth playing with drivers. It is just Dell having it's arms growing from their arses and not able to create a proper charging connector.

Problem is that the center pin in these connectors which kind of tells laptop that the charger is original Dell's charger is <Profanity removed>. When the center pin does not connect laptop thinks that charger is not original and decides not to charge.

Try wiggling the connector and call a Dell and request a replacement.

At least this is the case on Dell Lattitude 3540.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have had this issue with my Inspiron 15 7000.  I bought new batter/ac and still the same.  I couldn't update the bios as I only had 6% battery.  After following all the battery in/out suggestions I finally turned my attention to the ac jack.  I opened the back of my lap top and was going to try to open the jack casing but the screws wouldn't turn.  So I just straightened out the cable coming from the jack going to the motherboard a bit and sort of pushed it a bit towards the jack casing.  Put everything back together and ready to admit defeat and only use the laptop with power I had one more try and hey presto; it started to charge!  So might be worth trying the same if you have tried all the other suggestions (and before you update the bios).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

If the problem arises again, check that you have installed the correct version of Dell Quickset. There are umpteen versions of Quickset, and you absolutely need to have the correct driver for your particular model Dell Laptop. For starters, simply disable Quickset in startup,and reboot your laptop and see if the problem goes away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, and disable Microsoft AC Adapter

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've had this problem since I first bought my laptop. Dell even replaced the motherboard while it was still under warranty, but the problem came back. Apparently it's a common problem with Dell laptops. I can't tell you what to do to fix it, but I know that I won't be buying another Dell computer after this.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have bought 3 new ac adapters for my wife's dell laptop within the past month trying to resolve the unknown adapter issue.   I will not be buying another Dell either.  We both bought the same model at Best Buy a few years ago.  So angry at dell, I bought an Accer and haven't had any problems with it.  Not sure what to do about my Wife's laptop.  Might try unplugging and re-installing the battery.   Dell should drop the price of all of their computers to a few hundred dollars or advertise them as disposable computers.  They last a month or two after warrentie and die after that.  The laptop I bought my daughter will be the last.  Accer from now on.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

If your laptop has a USB-C slot you can charge it with a usb-c charger. It's working for me. Like you, and many others it seems., I've had nothing but trouble with charging issues and my laptop is only 18 months old. Never buying a Dell after this either.  Hope it works for you.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem. Dell 5568 Inspiron 2-in-1. 2 yrs old. Battery would not charge, AC adapter not recognized, but would still allow laptop to power up. This is the original AC adapter.

Tried the "uninstall Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" driver solution - didn't work.

Updated BIOS (had to forceit since battery was < 10%) - this worked for a day, then problem reappeared. 

The AC adapter works fine on a different Dell Laptop.

Tried a different Dell AC adapter (also 45 watt / 19.5v - same as OEM), would not work. 

Tried a 130 watt 19.5v Dell charger, and it works!

The problem, in my opinion, is obviously a firmware / driver / BIOS issue with the Dell laptop. I'm not impressed.

My only resort will be to find a similar 130watt AC adapter  (can't keep the one I tested with)  and use it instead of the OEM 45 watt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Had that problem intermittently with my Dell Vostro lap top. Got steadily worse. Geek Squad very helpful, ruled out the battery and said "get new Dell charger". Before spending money, being Dutch I tried my home remedy first. Sprayed contact cleaner into outlet plug of charger and inserted still wet plug into computer charge inlet. Voila it now works great.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

What is it that you did to get it to work, I’ve tried everything abs I’m pulling my hair out trying to fix this. This problem seemed to start after I updated to windows 10 but it’s been almost a year if this and it’s irritating. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

You *can* try the deleting of the Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery *but* note that the usual step also involves unplugging adapter from laptop. ----> The unplug / replug is what actually has potential to get you back to a charging state and avoid the Error msg at startup. I suggest that you  S L O W L Y   plug the adapter into laptop. It could take several times to get it to re-seat properly.  Wait up to a minute for your battery icon to reflect the "plugged in and charging".  My Inspiron has a faceted plug.. I sometimes rotate it for a better fit. This method (of slowly plugging in) works for me 100% of the time.

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

To everyone,

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/ALERT-The-AC-adapter-wattage-and-type-cannot-be-determined-q...

Best regards,

U2

HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
HP ZBook 17 G4 Xeon E3-1505M v6 32GB
HP Color LaserJet M553dn 40ppm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, under "Battery", disable Microsoft Adapter. Remember, do not delete the Microsoft Adapter - just disable it. If you delete it, it will simply be reinstalled the next time to boot up your computer and the problem will occur again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I too had this problem with My Dell M2800. The original adapter is 130 W. I got a new battery Dell 97 whr 9-cell replacing the old 6 cell battery. Initially the battery gave me hard time and it never charged above 99%. After a few days I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and there comes more challenges. My Adapter was shown as 'Unknown' in BIOS settings, and it started giving me error for using adapter below 130 W. So, when I plugged in this 130 W charger, it showed the power but with status 'not charging'. As a hit and try , I used another adapter which was 65 W and plugged-in. The battery status changed to 'charging'. I let it charge and after 1.5 hours, the status for battery was '100% charged'. I restarted with system, plugged-in the original 130 W charger, and the issue seems to have resolved. This is hit and try for me. Please give it a try before making any hardware related changes or spending huge bucks.
Highlighted
1 Copper

I resolved this problem in my laptop following the steps of the link below. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-windows-10-laptop-thats-plugged-in-but-not-charging/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I had the same problem with my Dell inspiron 7567 and i did this. Shut down your laptop and disconect the battery. Connect the AC Adapter then open your laptop. Close your laptop again and connect the battery while the AC Adapter is still plugged in. It worked for me and now is charging again. I will come back with a edit if it stops working again and then i will send it to warranty.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My laptop is Inspiron 13 7000 series and bought it 9 months ago. I face the same problem as ac adapter does not recognize and battery status is plugged in not charging. At early stage I removed the ac plug from the outlet and plug it again. The problem is resolved. After 1 week I cannot resolved using above method and the method suggested by Dell support website. So, I brought it to the service centre of Local distributor and when they tested it , there is no problem. When I tested in my home it cannot be charged again. I don't understand.
Highlighted

Hi Ychan,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

When the service center tested your system did they use your ac adapter or a different one?  If so, is the adapter you have grounded?  Does it have 3 prongs or 2?  Sometimes if the plug is not grounded properly it may not work as designed.

How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues?

If you need additional assistance and the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, under "Battery", disable Microsoft Adapter.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Go to Device Manager in Control Panel and disable the Microsoft AC Adapter, (under Battery). Do not uninstall the Microsoft AC Adapter - just disable it. If you uninstall it, it will simply re-install the next time you boot up.
In "Dell Power Manager" (on your Taskbar), set the Battery Setting to "Adaptive" - not "Primary AC Use." This is critical.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem Inspiron 17 model 5759... Bought a new battery thinking the battery wasn't taking a charge. Same problem with new battery.  Tried the suggestion of removing battery then starting up on just power adapter. I went ahead and installed the battery without shutting computer down and battery started charging.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

There seems to be multiple causes for this.

I had a Inspiron 15 7559 and after about six months the cables just fall apart. Previously they've always lasted a couple of years or more. I'm hoping that Dell have got that sorted out now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Yours did it!! I tried 10 other ones that didn't work and almost gave up. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Which one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Long story short....this is a Dell issue. They don't have a true fix for this, nor are any of their "diagnostics," either through BIOS, or Windows software, reliable.

They will not admit to it, but it is a design flaw with no accurate diagnosis, nor repeatable fix. It's a cr@p shoot. A new adapter might work, a new battery might work, neither may work.

They can't come out and say this for obvious reasons, but if you can tolerate less than great battery life/performance, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. You're not guaranteed a fix even if you follow all their instructions and buy new components.

You can't fix poor base design.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Encountered same problem bro! Did all things suggested by dell, search the web seriously, asked for tech assistance still same problem. It's a fixed firmware problem that even Dell cant solved. Will never buy dell again. Waste of money.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Although your post is old, I wanted to add my 2 cents. I bought my Dell XPS 15 L502x in 2011-2012. It became unusable within the year....the jack for the adapter.  A tech couldn't replace it because it's part of the motherboard. I opted not to pay to ship it off for tech service, and got a new laptop. I've used the Dell as backup, so light use. Shortly after the jack problem, I had to replace the battery, which I did. But then it started the "plugged in, not charging" thing. I had that on another computer, so I thought I could fix it (in the other laptop I had, it was an icon thing; the laptop was really charging. It just SAID it wasn't charging. So I just had to turn the icon on and off.) That wasn't the problem with the Dell, though.

My BIOS is outdated, so it could be that, but you have to have both adapter & charged battery to do that, so I can't update BIOS unless I buy a charged battery.  BUT here's a message I did find that is perplexing. I right click on the icon, click on DELL BATTERY METER, and at top it says "Battery Charging Disabled."  There is a box at bottom to click on to disable battery charging, but that box is not checked.  

In setup (click on F2 at startup), it says my adapter is "UNKNOWN." My adapter is an official Dell brand 130W for my XPS 15 L502x (identical to the one that came with the laptop). It was a replacement. It powers the laptop just fine. But the laptop just will not charge a battery.

So I am guessing it's rigged to where I had to buy a certain adapter directly from Dell (?), so the laptop won't recognize the adapter, or it could be that jack issue I had early on (which would be too expensive to fix, esp now that my laptop is older). 

All the fixes that people recommend & use about taking battery out, plugging & unplugging things, and such. I've done all that numerous times. That's not the issue with mine.

I may buy another replacement adapter. If that doesn't work, I'll just continue to use it with the adapter only, as a backup laptop. I'm using my new laptop for everyday business, so that's fine. It's an ASUS. I also had a Toshiba after the Dell, which was great until I dropped it.  I won't be buying another Dell. This laptop has had serious issues ever since about 10 mos. after I bought it.  It was pretty pricey at the time, but my

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello to everyone, I was trying dozens of solutions suggested by different sources, but later found this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5s9guCcRmw

It solved my problem 100%. Computer as new 🙂 The fix is very easy at least for DELL Inspiron 7348, but I believe it will be the same easy on other models as well.

This is a pure cable design issue! Hopefully, it will help you to solve the issue as well. Good luck 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Check the pin in the middle of the barrel of the plug at the end of the power cable that plugs into the laptop.

Bent to one side - disconnect from mains and try to bend it back tot the middle, eg with a small screwdriver.

Missing/broken - you may need a new power adapter.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Check that you have installed the correct version of Dell Quickset. There are umpteen versions of Quickset, and you absolutely need to have the correct driver for your particular model Dell Laptop. For starters, simply disable Quickset in startup,and reboot your laptop and see if the problem goes away. You can also "End" the process in Task Manager to save you the time of rebooting.

0 Kudos