Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 17th, 2019 08:00

Dell g3 3579 randomy freezes.

Recently I've bought a dell notebook g3 3579 (i7 8750h, 1050 Ti) and after I installed all oficial drivers I noticed that my notebook started to randomly freeze when I watch videos on YouTube. I'm a musician and use it for a composing purposes, so I really don't want freezes to happen.

I really like the notebook but it is really strange that it requires SO MUCH of my time and effort to define the right Bios\drivers configuration. 

So I started investigation and It seems that I fixed the problem by the most part. Here are my results before and after the fix:

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8xj6bg13tp3fwg/LatencyMonRes.jpg?dl=0

After: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zu5i5iup8zpag3/LatencyMonRes_2.jpg?dl=0

1. First of all, I I turned off the automatic driver update feature in Windows.

2. Deleted all the drivers, then installed the ofiicial Intel-UHD-Graphics-630-Driver (after tests in LatencyMon I determined that this driver does not cause any freezes).

3. I switched off C states and the Speed Shift Technology. One of those causes freezes. Turning off\on hyperthreading doesn't help as I can tell.

4. Deleted all chipset\wi-fi\sound drivers. You can download good audio drivers from the official Realtek download page.  

5. You can install GeForce Experience and download new videocard drivers from there.

From now on I'll install all the drivers one by one and test them. I'll post interesting results here.

My observations:

1. Dell SupportAssistant causes freezes. Uninstall it. 

2. Intel Rapid Storage thing causes freezes too.

3. Intel video driver which you can download from the official Intel website causes freezes too. Dxgkrnl starts to lag.

4. From my POV, the best Wi-Fi driver is Windows standart driver.

To be continued.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 17th, 2019 11:00

I don't understand why you replaced the drivers on a new computer. Laptops do not need updated drivers. Reinstall the original dell drivers that were customized by Dell for your exact model motherboard.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/g-series-15-3579-laptop/drivers

6 Posts

May 17th, 2019 12:00

That's exactly why you're don't know what you're talking about. Read my post one more time.

It usually freezes for one or two seconds, there are a lot of audio artifacts too. Official drivers doesn't work properly and updating BIOS doesn't help too. It happens in all browsers (Chrome, Opera, etc.) and caused not by hardware problems. My laptop passed all possible tests and everything is just fine. If you need to know my specs for some reason:

Intel i7 8750h

16GB DDR3 2666MHz

Two SSDs: original SK Hynix and Samsung Evo

GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

Win 10

2.5K Posts

OP x2 above 1st answer., the OP actions taken are all wrong ,and looks like what we do to 15 year old PC with zero support. wow. why not post in details the freeze issue, maybe its youtube problems. no brower stated (edge? what) but when the video freezes in the tube, do all other things in the PC freeze.? like start button.? like control + alt + Delete and then pull up task manager and look at CPU load, !? do other video streamingg web sites freeze too< like Netflix. , vudu, or roku or hulu, or any of 1000 others? before slamming a PCs drivers, ask for help first. IMO

6 Posts

That's exactly the problem! Something is wrong with the original Dell drivers. They doesn't work properly, causing freezes. On the contrary, drivers which are installed with Windows 10 work much better, not causing audio freezes, clicks and pops.

By the way, MaxxAudio doesn't really make your audio sound better, it makes it overcompressed and excited to **bleep**. 

293 Posts

May 17th, 2019 16:00

How did the initial start-up Win Install go? The whole start-up for that matter?  It takes a while, as, you know with very long pauses in between.  Try a different engine to try You Tube?  Call DELL?

6 Posts

May 19th, 2019 14:00

Hi! Thanks for the answer. Win 10 works just fine, as everything else. I checked it for corrupted files and didn't find anything. All updates are up to date too. Today I was able to achieve a very good result in a relaxed laptop state (no active background processes, etc.): https://www.dropbox.com/s/n19vg59dz72dnhn/nvidia.jpg?dl=0

I know that other people facing the problem too and I want to share how to solve it:

\BIOS

After a series of tests, I determined that Intel SpeedStep and Intel SpeedShift work just fine. You don't need to turn them off. The C States Technology is really questionable. It doesn't affect a LatencyMon results, but it seems that this technology causes freezes sometimes.

\Driver settings

After a series of tests, I determined that the most problematic drivers are LAN, Wi-Fi and Audio drivers. Audio drivers are just bad with all that MaxxAudio jazz, and the original Dell audio drivers affect LatencyMon tests in a bad way. I downloaded an official HD Realtek drivers and they work perfectly good. They a bit dated, but who cares? I found original Windows 10 Wi-Fi and LAN drivers better too.

Another story is Intel HD drivers and NVidia drivers. They work perfectly fine. You can download official Dell Intel HD Drivers from the Dell website, and NVidia drivers is better to update with GeForce Experience. And don't forget to turn off the Options -> In-Game Overlay. One of the most important steps is to turn on the high performance adapter to be preferable in the NVIDIA Graphic Panel. Then it is very important to force your browsers to use it instead of Intel HD Graphics. I don't know why, but it completely solves the problem with short freezes.

\Chipset and SATA drivers

I found that Dell Support Assistant causes delays in latency sometimes, as well as Intel Rapid Storage. I deleted them both. I actually deleted all chipset drivers and updated them with a third party driver program, now I don't have any latency spikes. Ofcourse it is a very questionable way to solve the problem, but it works. Then I updated some drivers using Windows (yep, I opened a hardware list and checked every piece of hardware to update drivers).

\Windows

I disabled all questionable Microsoft, NVidia and third party servies, cleared up my start up and optimised everything possible in power plan settings.

Hope this helps!

No Events found!