harmandeep
1 Nickel

Dell inspiron 14R 5420 - BIOS - Spectre - SideChannel

Hello,

I own Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 running Intel i7 3612QM / GT630M (Service Tag: <Service tag removed>).

As I see, Del still hasn't released BIOS Update (to address INTEL-SA-00115(CVE-2018-3639&CVE-2018-3640)  ) for this model, whereas BIOS update were released for 15R 5520.

15R 5520 is just 15 inches version of 14R 5420. 15R 5520 is also running 3rd gen / Ivy Bridge processors like 14R, so I assume that 14R 5420 should get similar attention from Dell, for releasing new BIOS with updated CPU Microcode addressing sidechannel attacks.

15R received two BIOS updates in 2018 for CPU Microcode update. Prior to these two updates, 15R last released BIOS update was in 2013.

14R received last BIOS update in 2013.

@ Moderators: Can you please bring this matter in attention to responsible personnel / team, so that BIOS update can be queued and prepared for Public release.

Thanks and Regards

Harmandeep Saggu 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Dell inspiron 14R 5420 - BIOS - Spectre - SideChannel

Hi Harmandeep,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies for your concern about the security of your product.

Fortunately, your system does not appear in this article as one of those susceptible to the security issue mentioned.  Please review the article and post back if you are still having difficulties.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
harmandeep
1 Nickel

Re: Dell inspiron 14R 5420 - BIOS - Spectre - SideChannel

Hi,

My processor is part of Intel 3rd Gen Core family (3612QM | Ivy Bridge) and its affected by Spectre Side Channel attacks, see Intel Advisory article. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00161.html

Microsoft has released a powershell cmdlet to see the status of these vulnerabilties (whether hardware level mitigations are present or not). https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4074629/understanding-the-output-of-get-speculationcontrols...

I am attaching output of the relevant powershell command below, which shows that my System (DELL 14R 5420 | BIOS A19) is affected by these attacks and that Hardware level updates/mitigations/microcode updates are not present.

BTIHardwarePresent and SSBDHardwarePresent flags in the output shows that Hardware level mitigations are not  present.

Can you please pass on this feedback to respective team so that BIOS can be updated and released for Dell Inpiron 14R 5420.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
For more information about the output below, please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4074629

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: True

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: True
Windows OS support for PCID performance optimization is enabled: False [not required for security]

Speculation control settings for CVE-2018-3639 [speculative store bypass]

Hardware is vulnerable to speculative store bypass: True
Hardware support for speculative store bypass disable is present: False
Windows OS support for speculative store bypass disable is present: True
Windows OS support for speculative store bypass disable is enabled system-wide: False

Speculation control settings for CVE-2018-3620 [L1 terminal fault]

Hardware is vulnerable to L1 terminal fault: True
Windows OS support for L1 terminal fault mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for L1 terminal fault mitigation is enabled: True

BTIHardwarePresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportPresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : True
BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy : False
BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : False
BTIKernelRetpolineEnabled : False
BTIKernelImportOptimizationEnabled : False
KVAShadowRequired : True