Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

July 20th, 2022 09:00

Dell inspiron 15 3000 makes fan noise

My Dell PC makes Fan sounds whenever I ever after I upgraded to Windows 11. Whenever I used applications like Chrome, or whatsapp web, any IDE, or any other heavy applications, the fan starts to make annoying noise. I upgraded my RAM to 12gb but that too did not solve the problem.  The PC is also very slow.

This is the configuration-

1TB HDD, 12GB RAM,  2GB AMD Ryzen 3 Graphics.

I am pretty much sure that it is not a dust related issue, as my laptop is only one year old and comparatively clean, no blockage is there in vents, tried with external cooling fans. I also started using Ubuntu 20.04, and the fan is not making any noise. This happens to be only with Windows.

Please suggest what to do.

Best,

Shounak

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 5th, 2022 01:00

Check and clean air vents
Provide proper ventilation
Run a hardware diagnostic test
Update the BIOS and device drivers

3 Apprentice

• 

546 Posts

August 5th, 2022 07:00

It sounds like Windows 11 is producing more disk activity, which is causing the processor to be active longer and producing more heat.

You mentioned that you have a hard drive installed, which likely the problem. Upgrading to a SSD will help improve performance and decrease the workload of the processor. Before upgrading, open task manager, click more details, and click on the performance tab. Monitor the graphs when the fan appears to be constantly running. If the CPU and disk activity are constantly close to or at 100%, but the RAM isn't, then you should replace the hard drive with a SSD. You may also want to click on the processes tab within task manager and verify that multiple programs are not running close to or at 100%. In either case, a SSD will definitely help as it will drastically increase disk read/write operations, in turn, allowing the processor to be less active and producing less heat.

If you decide to upgrade to a SSD, you will either need to reinstall Windows and your programs on the new SSD, or use a program such as Macrium Reflect to copy the existing data and partitions over to the SSD. Also, please provide the exact model number of your Inspiron (3000 is a series number) so that we can determine if your system can support a NVMe SSD, which provides a faster interface compared to a SATA SSD.

August 5th, 2022 10:00

Hi, Thank you for the detailed suggestion. I am using Dell Inspiron 3505. If you have any recommendations for SSD, please do let me know.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2023 20:00

its not solve the problem, coz iam using ssd and 2.5 hdd. Hv same noise problem

No Events found!