Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

July 17th, 2020 07:00

Disable S0 low power idle/S0iX/modern standby/connected standby in Inspiron 5501 BIOS?

I recently bought an Inspiron 5501 from Costco. Sleep mode doesn't work out of the box (with S0 low power idle enabled). It is not just my copy of the laptop; the Costco page for the laptop now has a bunch of reviews of people complaining that the laptop goes to sleep (kind of) and never wakes up. In Windows 10 1909, there is a registry key to tell Windows to use S3 for standby instead of S0iX. Flipping to S3 works beautifully.

However, in Windows 10 2004, Microsoft removed that registry key and depends on the BIOS to advertise what it wants to use. I found an option in the power section of the BIOS (1.3.0, latest as of today) to turn off S3. That seems to disable both S0iX and S3. I want to just disable S0iX/S0 low power idle and get back traditional standby. Without the BIOS knob, I am either not able to update to Windows 10 2004, or I need to disable standby totally in the BIOS, in order to get a usable system, which is retarded.

Is there a knob that exists in the BIOS that I am missing that disables S0 low power idle but leaves S3 enabled? If not, why not? I have an HP laptop with almost the same components that runs Windows 10 2004 and goes into regular old sleep mode (S3), so I don't think there is anything but BIOS support for S3 but not S0iX that is missing on this laptop.

I didn't realize I had to worry about something like sleep mode that has been around for decades working at all in a 2020 laptop, but I guess I'll have to be more careful about researching sleep mode support in the future. I should have taken more notice when my employer briefly offered Dell laptops to employees before quickly switching back to HP and Lenovo.

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 10:00

Hi Andrew,

I have exactly the same problem with my new Inspiron 5505 and Inspiron 7501. 

I was thinking of returning them back to Dell because of this problem.

Looks like Microsoft trying to push something nobody wants and everybody hates and Dell proud to be the first to implement new things that sometimes could be harmful. 

My solution was to configure power to shutdown the laptop on button or lid closed. Not ideal but the only option to be sure it's not draining the buttery while in sleep mode in my bag.

If you find a solution, please post it here as I am sure number of dell customers who will be looking for the solution will be equal number of sold laptops with Modern Standby.

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

July 31st, 2020 14:00

Well, I'm preparing boxes to return my new XPS 15 9500 back, cause with this S0 mode (instead of battle-proven S3) my new laptop is simply piece of . 

Here is https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-for-XPS-15-9500/td-p/7661255

And https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/the-system-is-exiting-connected-standby-reason/3c9288df-64f1-45c6-a0f3-c72ca0d90fb3?messageId=ef775f4f-6f62-4951-a735-8062fda26485

If Dell cares about its customers, there should be patch available or update or whatever to make laptop working as a laptop, not like a smartphone. Ridiculous.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

September 25th, 2020 19:00

I lucked out and my son broke the screen on this laptop :).  I replaced it with a Lenovo Thinkpad T15, and that one actually has a BIOS option to choose between S0iX sleep ("Windows 10" sleep) or S3 sleep ("Linux" sleep).  What a concept.

1 Message

November 6th, 2020 11:00

Well I had the XPS 9360 for over one year (roughly, if you count it starting from the "activation date".

Recently due to covid I had modified settings in my laptop so it stays on (not sleep, not hibernate) when I close the lid (which is needed for, say, some background downloads or others).

No, those downloads are not for/by/to windows update.

Today I woke up looking at a BlueScreen saying "KERNEL_POWER_FAILURE" or some others. Other times I will wake up simply to a blank (dark) screen with the power LED remains on.

So I checked the log. The last log was from last night (00:31:16 AM), which is from Kernal-Power, saying gleefully "The system is entering connected standby .Reason: Idle Timeout."

And then the log jumped to later this afternoon(14:36:40 PM) when I found out about the BlueScreen and force-rebooted the computer (I have changed the settings so it don't automatically reboot on a crash, so I can see the error code on the screen).

Yes, I can feel the intention of these hybid sleep or whatever "fast startup" Windows and UEFI makers had been cooperating to, but it simply don't ...

Well, it will work, but I suppose it's written in a way that resemble any programmer's worst nightmare (i.e. buggy code and unnecessarily complicated ... operations), as evident from the fact that this had been troubling me for quite some time.

ONE notion, however, is that this seem to only happen if I partially disable the Intel ME to control the fan speed manually. But more often than not it doesn't work either (I can't initiate a remote desktop connection even if I can see from my router that the laptop is "online")

Disable S3? sounds like irrelevant -- I either use sleep (which is presumably either s1 or s2) or I straight out hibernate (which is s4). or shutdown (s5). or full operation (s0).

Look at the amount of clutter in this mess. unnecessarily complicated.

______
Disable from bios? Gladly.

SHUTDOWN.EXE /S /D P:1:1

But I only saw the "C states" option though

Anyway, it's off.

Boot to windows, a check with powercfg /availablesleepstates reveals ...

S1, S2 and S3 is disabled because S0 Low Power Idle is supported.

Hybrid Sleep is turned off because S3 is not available.

S0 Low Power Idle (I'm going to start calling it as S0 LPI) is disabled by policy.

Which in theory mean that my computer could not sleep. Apparently that's not true as I can sleep by pressing the power button.

Perhaps I need to do a quick registry hack ...

November 12th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

same problem here with a XPS 7590. 

We have some Lenovo and HP Notebooks where you can disable S0iX in BIOS. 

We already complained at Dell but no improvement. We will now only go with new Lenovo and HP notebooks.

Sorry Dell..... 

2 Posts

December 13th, 2020 09:00

What worked for me (I have a G7 17 7790) is to add the following 2 keys to the registry (Win+R - "regedit"), under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power:

1) right click on Power (left tree), new DWORD, name "CsEnabled" value 0

2) right click on Power (left tree), new DWORD, name "PlatformAoAcOverride" value 0

Then reboot. (1) did not really work for me but (2) fixed the problem. Typing "powercfg /a" in cmd after (2) tells me that now S3 is enabled and S0 is disabled. Now my computer goes into a real sleep, where moving my mouse does not wake it up.

1 Message

January 15th, 2021 08:00

Looks like HP is following suit with latest Envy 17 models (intel core 11th gen). Bios reports S0 Low Power Idle by default. It's really stupid thing to have S0 LPI enabled by default in my opinion. These laptops with 45W tdp cpus are not IPads.

1 Message

March 25th, 2021 16:00

Oh my god thank you so much... same model, same problem, was losing my mind. Second reg key seems to have worked.

edit: referring to Bogdan10's reply:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

2) right click on Power (left tree), new DWORD, name "PlatformAoAcOverride" value 0

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 03:00

Thank you so much!

Worked for Precision 5530 on win 20H2.

At least now it shows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg/a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Thanks!

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 04:00

A tip from Bogdan10, posted above, has helped me to return S3 on Precision 5530 (running Windows 10 20H2).

add the following 2 keys to the registry (Win+R - "regedit")

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power:

I suppose, the second point did help.

Thanks to the author

2 Posts

May 4th, 2021 02:00

Awesomeness!!! - The #2 Reg Hack from @Bogdan10 worked perfectly on my Dell G3 15 3500!  Now I can properly 'sleep' my laptop.  Thank you very much!! ❤

Reposting Bogdan10's Reg Hack (from above):

1. Open RegEdit, then past the following key into the nav / address bar:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
  2. From the 'Power' key in the left tree panel, right-click and add a new DWORD, named "PlatformAoAcOverride" and just keep the default value of (0).
  3. Reboot
  4. Confirm success by entering 'powercfg -a' in an elevated command prompt:
    You should now see the following at the top of the message text:
    "The following sleep states are available on this system:
       Standby (S3)..."
  5. Enjoy your newfound 'sleep'

1 Message

June 2nd, 2021 11:00

I am facing the similar issue on my Dell Inspiron 5402 purchased 4 months ago. Battery drains completely from 100 to 0 within hours.

6 Posts

October 27th, 2021 18:00

Still testing. 

6 Posts

October 27th, 2021 18:00

Thanks man !! It seems that it works ( and also it works when on charge that it was a major issue before! ! )Thank you a lot ! Really !! It was driving me crazy !

16 Posts

December 3rd, 2021 21:00

both option did not helped on my dell vostro 3500 11gen, win11 Ver. 21H2. First option did nothing and second option disabled sleep on power option.

C:\Users\Dell>powercfg -a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

How I can enable Hybird Sleep. There is no option in BIOS to disable S0 and enable S3. I am using 1.9.0 latest BIOS at this time.

No Events found!