Highlighted
2 Bronze

Disable S0 low power idle/S0iX/modern standby/connected standby in Inspiron 5501 BIOS?

I recently bought an Inspiron 5501 from Costco. Sleep mode doesn't work out of the box (with S0 low power idle enabled). It is not just my copy of the laptop; the Costco page for the laptop now has a bunch of reviews of people complaining that the laptop goes to sleep (kind of) and never wakes up. In Windows 10 1909, there is a registry key to tell Windows to use S3 for standby instead of S0iX. Flipping to S3 works beautifully.

However, in Windows 10 2004, Microsoft removed that registry key and depends on the BIOS to advertise what it wants to use. I found an option in the power section of the BIOS (1.3.0, latest as of today) to turn off S3. That seems to disable both S0iX and S3. I want to just disable S0iX/S0 low power idle and get back traditional standby. Without the BIOS knob, I am either not able to update to Windows 10 2004, or I need to disable standby totally in the BIOS, in order to get a usable system, which is retarded.

Is there a knob that exists in the BIOS that I am missing that disables S0 low power idle but leaves S3 enabled? If not, why not? I have an HP laptop with almost the same components that runs Windows 10 2004 and goes into regular old sleep mode (S3), so I don't think there is anything but BIOS support for S3 but not S0iX that is missing on this laptop.

I didn't realize I had to worry about something like sleep mode that has been around for decades working at all in a 2020 laptop, but I guess I'll have to be more careful about researching sleep mode support in the future. I should have taken more notice when my employer briefly offered Dell laptops to employees before quickly switching back to HP and Lenovo.

2 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Disable S0 low power idle/S0iX/modern standby/connected standby in Inspiron 5501 BIOS?

Hi Andrew,

I have exactly the same problem with my new Inspiron 5505 and Inspiron 7501. 

I was thinking of returning them back to Dell because of this problem.

Looks like Microsoft trying to push something nobody wants and everybody hates and Dell proud to be the first to implement new things that sometimes could be harmful. 

My solution was to configure power to shutdown the laptop on button or lid closed. Not ideal but the only option to be sure it's not draining the buttery while in sleep mode in my bag.

If you find a solution, please post it here as I am sure number of dell customers who will be looking for the solution will be equal number of sold laptops with Modern Standby.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Disable S0 low power idle/S0iX/modern standby/connected standby in Inspiron 5501 BIOS?

Well, I'm preparing boxes to return my new XPS 15 9500 back, cause with this S0 mode (instead of battle-proven S3) my new laptop is simply piece of <Profanity removed>. 

Here is https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-for-XPS-15-9500/td-p/7661255

And https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/the-system-is-exiting-connected-s...

If Dell cares about its customers, there should be patch available or update or whatever to make laptop working as a laptop, not like a smartphone. Ridiculous. <Legalistic statement removed>