Maityv
1 Copper

Disable Updates in Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 on my PC and the Auto-Updates are disabled. Still the Windows 10 is downloading something and consuming data as this is a fresh installation. How do I find out what is getting downloaded in Windows 10 that is consuming all the data and disable it or with some guess what could the Program that is consuming all the data?

Reply with solutions

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Disable Updates in Windows 10

@Maityvwrote:

I'm running Windows 10 on my PC and the Auto-Updates are disabled. Still the Windows 10 is downloading something and consuming data as this is a fresh installation. How do I find out what is getting downloaded in Windows 10 that is consuming all the data and disable it or with some guess what could the Program that is consuming all the data?

Reply with solutions

Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro?

With Windows 10 Home, you can disable updates by setting your wifi connection to "metered".

0 Kudos
Maityv
1 Copper

I have disabled updates in Windows 10 but still something is getting downloaded and consuming data. Which program other than Windows Update is consuming data?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

No idea.

See if Task Manager shows anything.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Critical security updates always download on Windows 10, even on metered connections, which means the monthly "Cumulative Updates" will download if they contain a critical security update.  I believe that new Windows 10 releases eventually count as critical once the release you're running is EOL.  The oldest supported Windows 10 release right now is Win10 1703, for example, unless you installed the LTSB version of Win10 1607.  On Windows 10 Pro, you can use Group Policy to defer updates for up to 365 days and introduce temporary update blackout periods, and you can also prevent automatic restarts (although confusingly, on Windows 10 you have to set it to not even download updates automatically for that to work), but it is not possible to completely disable updates on Windows 10.  That was part of the bargain of switching to an OS that would be getting updated releases every March and September; Microsoft understandably didn't want to be in the position of having to maintain dozens of different variants of Windows 10.  And then of course there's the reality that in today's security landscape, completely disabling updates is highly unwise for any PC connected to any sort of network, even if that PC itself isn't directly connected to the Internet.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

In terms of seeing what's consuming your network traffic, Task Manager doesn't display that, but Resource Monitor does, and it can be launched from the Performance tab of Task Manager.  If you expand the Network section, you can see activity broken down by process and even destination of the traffic, although you'll also notice that all services simply appear as "Svchost.exe", so if the culprit is a background service, this is unlikely to be helpful.

0 Kudos