External game graphics card

I have a dell inspiron laptop, an intel celeron which is unable to carry modern games, am thinking of buying an external graphics card so i want to know what type will be compatible for my laptop.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: External game graphics card

The only notebooks for which these officially exist are the newer Alienware systems.

A few of the XPS models with Thunderbolt 3  ports may work with some eGPUs - but even that's trial and error and unsupported.  There are very few Inspiron systems with Thunderbolt ports -- and these are very new models (no more than a year or so old) -- as with the XPS, it's going to be trial and error to find one that works, as there is no official support.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: External game graphics card

With a Celeron CPU, even if you could use an external GPU (which you can't, for the reasons ejn63 described), the CPU would become a major bottleneck to the GPU.  And since you didn't specify the exact Inspiron model, I can't be certain about this, but I'm going to guess that a Celeron-based system doesn't have a lot of RAM installed and probably has a low maximum memory capacity as well, which would become another bottleneck for most games.  If you want to play modern games properly, you'll need a better system overall.

0 Kudos