ascamelion
1 Copper

FULLY disabling integrated graphics card (Inspiron 15 7577)

Hello,

I own an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti that also has Intel HD Graphics 630.

As far as I can tell the display is controlled/wired (whatever you call it, non-native speaker) by default through/to the Intel HD Graphics. I do come to this conclusion, because the NVIDIA-GPU Activity Monitor says the 1050 Ti is inactive when I'm just looking at my desktop or run firefox. Also the NVIDIA system control panel does not let me do basic stuff like setting the resolution off my screen, which is different from my last laptop with a NVIDIA GPU where I could do that.

So my question is how do I make my display and absolutly everything graphics-related run by my NVIDIA card?

I do NOT want to just switch prefered graphics to the 1050 Ti in the NVIDIA system control panel, I already did that.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: FULLY disabling integrated graphics card (Inspiron 15 75

You cannot.  Only the Intel GPU is physically connected to the display panel - the nVidia GPU is a co-processor, not the primary one.

There ARE systems (Precision and Alienware) that allow hardware-based switching of the video -- the Inspiron and XPS models do not.  They are software-controlled hybrids.

0 Kudos
ascamelion
1 Copper

Thank you very much for your answer.

Sadly not what I wanted to hear, but that is of course not your fault.

That you have to ask in a support forum to get this information is the real sad part, not spending money on Dell products ever again...

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

It isn't Dell-specific - just about any sub-$1,500 system is going to be designed exactly the same way.

0 Kudos
waynealight
6 Indium

I had the same thought process but really all it would do is eat battery life and create more heat.  setting the global parameters for the 1050ti will force it to be used for processing.  but any gaming or rendering will use the card so it doesn't affect anything by switching back and forth.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Other way around -- the nVidia GPU consumes more power than even the CPU does.  You do not want it running all the time - THAT is what'll kill the battery life.

0 Kudos