Highlighted
Spaghetto_26
1 Copper

Factory reset option

Hello. My laptop is detected with a trojan virus. Now I want to factory reset my laptop. In the reset option there are two options

OPTION 1 : Just remove my files (This is quicker but less secure. Use this if you're keeping the PC)

OPTION 2: Remove files and clean the drive 

If I will choose option 1. Does it do the job of completely removing the trojan virus or do i need to do the option 2? THANK YOU

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Factory reset option

The problem with choice 1 is that the virus may be in a Windows file and cleaning only your files does nothing to eliminate the virus. Choice 2 cleans everything and leaves you with a clean Windows installation.

https://www.quora.com/Does-factory-resetting-your-computer-delete-all-its-viruses-and-malware-If-so-...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
Spaghetto_26
1 Copper

Thank you very much for your answer! If i choose option 2, does it also delete dell apps that is installed when I got the laptop?

0 Kudos
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Yes but the following page gives you a number of options. You can actually install Windows and the software that came with your system as delivered from the factory. Needles to say, if you have a nasty virus on your system, I would use another clean computer to create the USB media installation drives.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-c...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos