Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

January 21st, 2022 06:00

Fingerprint Sensor Inspiron 16 7610?

My Inspiron 16 7610 has what looks like a fingerprint sensor icon to the right of the power switch. How can I tell if I have a fingerprint sensor on my laptop? If I do have one, how do I activate it? Thank you. 

5 Posts

January 21st, 2022 07:00

I checked Device Manager and found the following:

Device Manager>Biometric devices>Goodix Moc Fingerprint

I'll check my service tag in Support for further information.

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 21st, 2022 07:00

The fingerprint reader is optional on this model -- if your system has one, a driver for it will show up in the device manager.  If you don't see one, use your service tag at dell.com/support to look up the specifications of your particular system.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 26th, 2022 07:00

Aronnax,

Please refer to the manual here: Inspiron 16 7610 Service Manual for computers with two fans (https://dell.to/356dSUB)

(Page 51) for detailed information. It's the power button doubles up as a finger print sensor.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2022 23:00

I have the reader, but it keeps disappearing, so on a reboot and for 1-2 days it works. then  I have to use my PIN to sign in as it says there is no Windows Hello compatible reader found.

now at least I can see Goodix Moc Fingerprint under hidden biometric devices. 

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

August 9th, 2022 19:00

Aronnax, I think somewhere in the specs it says the Fingerprint Sensor is optional, but I'm pretty sure it was installed in all Inspiron 7610 models. It doubles as the power button. Usually in Windows 11 you will find settings for it under Windows Settings/ Accounts/ Fingerprint Recognition (Windows Hello). Windows 10 it should be in a similar settings page.

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

August 9th, 2022 19:00

Hi Simmmion,

I went through some things with the fingerprint reader. My first 7610 had this problem from the get-go. It worked fine for the first couple weeks, then it would give me the same error message as yours. I reinstalled Windows several times (I was also dealing with the blasted touchpad not working), updated the drivers, etc. It would work fine again for a few restarts, even a few days at a time, then I'd get the error message again. In Device Manager, the Goodix Moc Fingerprint wouldn't even show under Biometric devices, and I also noticed a problem in the USB ports. The Fingerprint sensor is actually plugged in via one of the USB ports in the motherboard - it's actually one of those ribbons, but it's listed as one of the USB ports. If this is you, this is a hardware issue, and you should put in a ticket.

Long story short, Dell replaced my whole laptop with a refurbished model (it was just after launch, so it was in pristine condition), and that fingerprint sensor worked flawlessly, UNTIL my Windows had something go kerfloofy and I had to reinstall Windows 11. Once I installed the updated Goodix Fingerprint Driver, it started acting the same way, it would work fine, then suddenly I'd have to log in with a PIN and Windows wouldn't see it. I'd reinstall the driver and it would work just fine again for a few days. This second time, it was actually a driver issue, and I actually had to completely reinstall Windows 11 for it to work again. I couldn't seem to resolve the problem, but that was 2 months ago, and I haven't had a single problem with the Fingerprint sensor since.

So look for that USB device error the next time your fingerprint sensor glitches out and won't show up. You may have to try installing Windows again, but hopefully this will help you determine if it's a hardware or a driver issue.

2 Posts

August 11th, 2022 02:00

BIOS security TPN2,  disabling this setting appears to return the reader to found and working. 

No Events found!