Abaana
1 Copper

Flashing red/orange light on the battery.

Hey,

A Mate dropped my studio 1558 laptop and cracked the casing. but more annoyingly the laptop battery is not charging. Is this likely to be the battery damaged or is it possible that it knocked a connection out or loose. The laptop does recognise when it is connected. Don't want to buy a new battery and find that it was the main machine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Flashing red/orange light on the battery.

If the adapter is recognized, check the battery contacts (on the battery itself, and on the mainboard).  Make sure they're clean and look like they make good contact.

0 Kudos
Abaana
1 Copper

The Battery doesn't look in anyway physically damaged. The contacts look good both on the board and the battery. It also looks the the battery connect directly to the board (No wires) and this also loose intact (but only from examining through the batter compartment).

When the machine is booted up, it says the battery is 7% but not charging. On boot up, is says the battery is not recognised. Pretty sure the Bios is up to date, and as this happened from a fall, it would be unlikely that this bios update would be at the same time.

Does this leave the battery damaged?

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

The battery would be the first suspect, but given that the total value of the system is somewhere between $50-100, may not be worth replacing.  This system is around eight years old -- and as such it's questionable whether it's worth trying another battery.

0 Kudos
Abaana
1 Copper

Its actually still a pretty fast machine. I agree its not got a lot of retail value, but when you look at the cpu speed, and try to buy a similar cpu in a laptop, you have to pay over $500. Also it has a solid state drive, and maxed memory to it all runs very smoothly. Its still got another few years in her I think.
0 Kudos