Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

14 Posts

August 27th, 2019 10:00

Full F2 and F12 settings to enable boot from Recovery USB

Hi, Firstly I want to thank those that guided me to create the USB recovery tool for my dead Dell. All instructions from Dell were not clear and left our a few essentials. Anyhow, I now have my USB recovery Tool Next thing - how to use it. The instructions I was sent from Dell also don't relate to the Dell model I have (A Dell Inspiron 15 - 5000 series). I fear I have now messed up these settings in trying to follow them. Can anyone guide me as to the correct way to set the machine up to boot from my USB? Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 27th, 2019 10:00

On every Dell non-server system I've used, pressing F12 during initial boot will cause the one-time boot menu to appear, and as long as your USB device was properly set up as a boot device and was already connected when the system powered on, you should see an option to boot from it in that list.  If you mucked around with BIOS settings, you might want to consider going into your BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during initial boot and choosing to reset all BIOS settings to their defaults before trying the F12 boot menu method, because there are definitely some changes you can make in the BIOS that would interfere with USB booting.

14 Posts

August 27th, 2019 23:00

Thanks JP... Indeed the settings have been tampered with due to other advice given elsewhere (that I probably shouldn't have heeded). So, I need to check the full settings are ok - I have already tried resetting to optimal settings (F9 does this while in F2 BIOS screen) but still no joy. When setting up the USB Recovery Tool however, there were a few network interruptions - while no error was reported I guess there could be the possibility it did not download correctly. I am intending to take photos of the screen while in BIOS and hopefully can check the settings with yourselves... that seems like the quicker option as opposed to setting up another USB recovery tool...

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 28th, 2019 06:00

Another option would be to just use Windows 10 installation media created by the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  Assuming you're trying to install Windows 10, that would be here.  It might contain a newer Windows 10 release than the Dell recovery media anyway.  It might not include some of the drivers that the Dell media would, but you can use Dell Update or Dell SupportAssist to get those back fairly quickly.  I've personally never used the Dell recovery media, so I don't know exactly how it sets up its USB media.

14 Posts

August 28th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for that JP... a Dell Support Assistant told me only to install 8.1... but yes, I could try going straight to Microsoft and getting 10... However, if I am having issues trying to set up the BIOS to boot from the USB would this be wasted effort at the moment?

14 Posts

August 28th, 2019 10:00

So, here are the current settings in the BIOS. I have the USB Recovery Tool (though of course I may take up the suggestion of creating the Recovery Tool direct from Microsoft) and just need to know the optimal settings for me to be able to boot fromthe USB... because currently it does not work.
Just to note - I have previously set the boot options from USB once the USB has been inserted.... it just goes to 'Preparing Advanced Repair' loop again... and again... and again..... 

F2 MAINF2 MAINF2 BOOTF2 BOOTF2 BOOT - UEFI dropdownF2 BOOT - UEFI dropdownF2 ADVANCEDF2 ADVANCEDF2 SECURITYF2 SECURITYF12 BOOT MANAGERF12 BOOT MANAGER

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 28th, 2019 16:00

Your BIOS settings look good except that you can and should enable Secure Boot if you’re using Windows, since that’s been supported since Windows 8 and is a nice anti-rootkit security measure. But having that disabled certainly that wouldn’t explain your USB device missing from the F12 boot options list. If you haven’t already, try using a different model flash drive. I’ve seen cases where certain systems simply won’t boot from certain flash drives for some reason. Another thing to try would be creating generic Windows 10 installation media using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. If that allows your flash drive to be detected in the boot menu, then it sounds like something isn’t being set up correctly by the Dell Recovery Media creator.

14 Posts

August 28th, 2019 23:00

@U2CAMEB4ME .... (Yes! I managed to tag you!)
This is the new thread after the one you helped me with in creating the recovery tool... Thank you for your help - if you have any advice on this next step I'm all ears! 

14 Posts

August 28th, 2019 23:00

Thank you JP - I will enable secure boot. 
Will also try a few more times with my current USB. There are 3 USB ports and I have noticed that it is recognised in some and not others... but even when it is selected for boot it doesn't boot. 

So - will keep trying and will also try a differed USB stick... and the Microsoft recovery media.... I am determined to breathe life back into this machine! Its too young to die!

3 Posts

April 1st, 2021 12:00

I forgot my password and I cannot get into my computer with this setting

No Events found!