Highlighted
Rothen
1 Copper

G3 15 (3579) - Boot problems after HDD to SSD change

Hello,

Recently I've tried to replace classical HDD with an SSD. I have a Crucial SSD 512GB which I used in other notebook without any issues. I installed new Windows using a recovery USB drive created with Dell Recovery Utility. I installed the drive successfully and installed the Windows. I've setted up the Intel Rapid Storage (my model has 16GB Optane Drive) and rebooted. Since then there were only BSOD just before Windows started to load. I've tried reinstalling windows several times, but I got errors like "no bootable drive". I suspected that the M.2 Optane drive could be at fault, but when I disabled it in BIOS, it was the same. I got another USB drive with clean installation of Win10 directly from Microsoft. I installed it okay, but I saw desktop only like 15 minutes and it got in a BSOD loop again. After that I replaced the SSD with original HDD and it's working fine since. And the SSD is working fine in another computer.

Only thing I can imagine what could be wrong is the power draw. Crucial SDD has power consumption at 5V 1.7A and the HDD has 5V 1.5A. But this difference seems to be really small (it's 1W). But I was surprised that the power and data for the drives goes through very small ribbon cable.

If the problem is compatibility, can you tell me what SSD should be compatible?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
moxiejeff
1 Nickel

Re: G3 15 (3579) - Boot problems after HDD to SSD change

Did you get this resolved? If so, how?

0 Kudos
Clintlgm
2 Iron

Re: G3 15 (3579) - Boot problems after HDD to SSD change

The best way is to Clone the old hard drive to the new SSD, that way there won't be any issues. Clean Installing Windows 10 can be challenging if you don't know how to work with UEFI and IRST. Just about any Windows problems can be fixed so you really just make it hard on yourself Clean Installing. There are many Cloneing software out there I personally use Macrium Reflect and have never had a failure, the free version is all you need.

Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix
Kit-Dell Dock WD15,US,130W,1.1C,MDP
Windows 10 Pro
0 Kudos