Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2018 20:00

Inspiron G3 15-3579, temperature problem, fixed

When I run a stress test, the temperature went up to 80C immediately, and drop to 40C after I stop the test. Is that normal? The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPB11z0SrIE

40 Posts

April 7th, 2019 12:00

After a few days without using my Dell G3 I turned it on today and I've got a Dell Update notification. It was a BIOS update. I accepted it and downloaded it. After installing update Windows restarted. Back again to Windows I've launched Dell Power Manager and I've got another notification. It was a message asking me to update DPM. I've clicked on More Information and it opened Firefox for downloading this update. I've installed it and... THERMAL CONTROL IS NOW AVAILABLE!! There are 4 options. Optimized, Low temperature, Silence, and Ultra Performance (mine is in Brazilian Portuguese and I guess these are the options in English ). Thank you so much Dell for hearing us!!

Dell Power Manager Service 3.5.0 (Inspiron G3 15-3579/G3 15-3590/G3 17-3779/G5 15-5587/G5 15-5590/G7 15-7588/G7 15-7590/G7 17-7790)

Dell Command | Power Manager User Guide

Capture.JPG

Controle térmico Dell.PNG

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your message. This is normal for the thermal to go high when running a stress test. The thermal should not remain constantly at the same temperature (high) when running normal applications (not gaming).

You can check the thermal events in BIOS to see if there are any thermal issues with the system.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

December 20th, 2018 11:00

my dell g3 gets a temperature of 100° C, when i'm playing. What do I can do?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 20th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for your message. Is the system constantly at 100° C & does this happen only when gaming?  What happens when you are using the system just for browsing?

Please update the following drivers.

Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework

Intel chipset device software

BIOS (even if you have the latest version)

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

40 Posts

January 1st, 2019 03:00

My Dell G3 also reaches 100°C when I gaming. Is it normal? I think it is a good idea to include more manual thermal control (e.g. fan speeds and startup) in a future BIOS update. With that Dell G3 owners could choose between more FPS or lower temperatures.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2019 06:00

It is normal for the system to reach a higher temperature when gaming as all the resources are being used, just that the temperature should not remain at the same level always.

We have escalated to our product team & there will be a BIOS update available for the G series shortly. Not sure if there will be fan controls through.   

5 Posts

February 15th, 2019 23:00

You can try undervolting your G3. I myself own a G3 and experience a fair bit similar problems to yours. I live in tropical areas with ambient temperature ranging from 28-35 oC, and under heavy usage (or benchmarking), my CPU easily reach 100 oC, which both worrying and hampering performance (due to thermal throttling). Did some digging online and stumble upon undervolting. There are various method of undervolting, but the easiest is too use Intel extreme tuning utility (XTU) available for download online via intel's website. There are numerous how-to undervolt articles online. As for the result myself, I manage to undervolt to -165 mV and my laptop remain stable (my G3 use intel I7-8750H). Temperature wise, my CPU temperature hardly reach 90 oC now under even the heaviest usage, and on average my CPU temp drop somewhere between 10-15 oC, which is awesome considering how little effort undervolting needs. On the performance department, the reduced temperature also help eliminates thermal throttling. My cinebench R15 score went up from ~1000-ish on average to 1229 (highest score). Should undervolting failed to resolve your issue, repasting the thermal paste could also be an option but requires disassembling your laptop.

13 Posts

February 17th, 2019 10:00

The same issue with my g3... I think that this happens because the fan starts too late ... This problem has been discussed many times in similar threads about thermals and fans.

FANS START WORKING TOO LATE, when cpu already reach 100 and start throttle. Please, fix this or give fan controll. Please, stop ignoring this problem!

February 18th, 2019 03:00

Same laptop. Same problem, and, even more! i don`t wanted to say such things, but my laptop has TERRIBLE ASSEMBLING. I called to Dell support, they allowed me to open it and repaste. But, what I saw under the heatsink cover... IT`S A MESS! 1. Too little content of thermal compound. 2. MISSING GASKET BETWEEN HEATSINK AND vRAM MODULES!!! 3. damaged thermal pipes, which have white and green raid on them I have 100 оC when benchmarking or playing games, such as witcher3 or FarCry 5. And as @Evsign posted, coolers starts too late. My PC can overheat CPU that time, when coolers start only. please, add any preference, which will allow me to adust coolers activity, or please, update BIOS. (*SpeedFan Utility doesen`t allows to anjust speeds of coolers - BIOS refuses) And now I need to fix this issue - replace all heatsink((( It`s very sad for me, that my VERY POWERFUL laptop have this silly problem(

13 Posts

February 18th, 2019 04:00

@Sonik_Master  Can you share how you found damaged heat pipes?I want to look at my. If you can attach photos, this will be great. Thanks.

February 18th, 2019 07:00

@Evsign @@@This is my system

Frankly speaking, it have too weird color for non-damaged, but I wouldn't tell you certainly if it 100% damaged

Photos:1550503477392906532319.jpg

1550503494280617945337.jpg

IMG_20190219_093537.jpg

IMG_20190219_093517.jpg

15505035057891010461101.jpg

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 14:00

G5 / G7 users have received a new BIOS update that includes xps fan control, but nothing for G3((

1 Message

June 30th, 2019 05:00

I had a similar problem with my G3 after Windows update unexpectedly downgraded my Bios from 1.9 to 1.8. This caused a malfunction in my GPU fan, delaying the fan start. The solution is reset the BIOS by removing the power source. 1. Remove the main battery; 2. Remove the CMOS battery; 3. Press the power button for 5 seconds. 4. Plug the CMOS battery and main battery on. Now, BIOS v. 1.10 is out, they probably fixed some thermal problems.
No Events found!