Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

2 Posts

March 29th, 2020 07:00

G3 3590 Type-c External Boot Problem on Bios

Hey everyone

I have g3 3590 laptop. I use windows 10 and there is no problem. But i want to use another w10 for external ssd harddisk via connecting type-c. But there is some problem on bios configurations. i found this topic:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/tr-tr/sln301218/how-to-boot-to-an-external-device-using-usb-type-c-connection?lang=en

but in that topic, the 3rd and 4th step is not available on my bios. There is no "USB/Thunderbolt Configuration" and "Advance Boot Configuration" tabs on my list. I also updated my bios firmware but still the same. So i couldnt boot it.

I used that type-c external hdd on my other computers. there isn't any problem on it.

Please give your ideas about this situation. 

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 29th, 2020 07:00

@vinsinity  if your system doesn't have Thunderbolt, then you won't have options for Thunderbolt.  Not all systems with USB-C ports have Thunderbolt support.  And I'm not sure why that article talks about enabling UEFI Network Stack, since that's only required for network booting.  Legacy Option ROMs is only needed if you're booting a non-UEFI environment, but enabling that will prevent you from using Secure Boot.

However, be aware that full Windows itself does not support being booted from a drive attached via USB.  That is a software limitation imposed by Microsoft, so it will be an issue regardless of what you do at a hardware/firmware level.  The only exception is WinPE, which is a stripped down version of Windows meant for running things like Windows Setup, and then Windows To Go, which allows booting full Windows via USB but requires special preparation and enterprise licensing -- and I believe Microsoft has deprecated that now anyway.

2 Posts

March 30th, 2020 00:00

Thanks for your reply

Btw i set up windows 10 to my external hdd on another pc. And i connected it on my dell laptop. but in first 'welcome to windows' configuration screen, i have blue screen error. I tried repair or countinue buttons, but still the same; bluescreen error and windows is not openning. However i tried the same process on another pc, there isnt any problem, and windows works perfectly

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 30th, 2020 07:00

@vinsinity  Did you use any specific utilities to perform that installation? I know there’s one out there that will essentially set up a Windows To Go installation, but that would technically be a violation of the Windows licensing policy unless you’re an enterprise that actually has that licensing. If you’re saying you were able to just use regular Windows Setup to install into a USB drive, I’m surprised, but maybe Microsoft changed something. I admittedly haven’t tried installing Windows into a USB device in a while, partly because even if you have it on a USB device, Windows still generally isn’t very “portable” onto different hardware. Most of the time if you move an existing Windows environment to different hardware it will fail to boot, which makes a USB environment rather less useful.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2020 01:00

Hello. I am awaiting your response. Do reach out to us with the requested information at your convenience so that we can assist you further. ^MP

• 

25.1K Posts

April 8th, 2020 02:00

Hello. I am awaiting your response. Do reach out to us with the requested information at your convenience so that we can assist you further, until then we shall be archiving the case at our end. ^MP

No Events found!