Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

25 Posts

March 27th, 2020 16:00

G5 15 5590 BIOS 1.12.1 problem

Hello.

I've just installed BIOS 1.12.1 and now I can't undervolt my CPU anymore. Before the BIOS update I was able to underclock the CPU to -0.150 mV (Core/Cache Voltage Offset via Intel XTU), which is the only way I found to keep the CPU from thermal throttling. Now, the Intel XTU core voltage offset slider is disabled, furthermore I'm not able to rollback to a previous BIOS version (1.11.1 or 1.9.1). I got this error message while running the BIOS update: "ME Firmware EndUpdate Failed Error: 0x000001F3".

Windows device manager shows no errors on the Intel Management Engine Interface.

ThrottleStop also has no effect anymore.

Now, my CPU is thermal throttling like crazy! This is unacceptable, please help.

123 Posts

March 29th, 2020 16:00

Dell implemented Intels "advice" to deactivate undervolt because of Plundervolt, which is a theoretical exploit which in theory could leak keys and information. Read about it here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/black-list-adjustable-voltage-control-turbo-ratio-limits-are-locked-out-due-latest-win-update-bios.831450/

There is no reason to force this, and give no option to deactivate it / reenable voltage via bios if you want. I would try to refund your laptop or sue Dell. 

1 Message

April 6th, 2020 09:00

It let me roll back to 1.11 but did not reenable voltage control, looks like that part of the flash is irreversible.  That .  Got this laptop in March, got like a week of undervolting with it.

April 8th, 2020 07:00

Take a look at what I did to solve the overheating issue on the link below.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-G5-15-5590-overheating-problem/td-p/7267562/page/2

Then came Dell and the BIOS 1.12.1 and ruined everything...

1 Message

April 10th, 2020 12:00

I have the same problem, what a garbage of update, and with no solution in sight...

18 Posts

April 13th, 2020 05:00

Hi!

Please check alternative thread on this problem:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/G5-5590-Firmware-Update-0-1-12/td-p/7523954

One user their suggested a solution, which seems to be working (I confirmed on my G5 and posted what I did to re-enable voltage control).

26 Posts

April 13th, 2020 07:00

On Inspiron 5570, I need to downgrade otherwise with the latest firmware 1.2.3, every game crashes after a few minutes or has really poor performance throughout. Before the update, I had bios version 1.1.8 and it worked smoothly.... But I can no longer downgrade even using ctrl+esc and BIOS_IMG.rcv method.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2020 17:00

Just received the update. Bought my G5 a week ago. And the only reason i was gonna forget about buying it was because of thermal throttling issues. But then undervolting boosted the cpu from 3.4ghz(due to thermal throttling on i7-9750h) to 3.86ghz and i thought it was a good buy. Unbelievable blunder by Dell. It's a gaming laptop for God's sake. Either Dell is gonna go down in sales or AMD is gonna go up in sales. 

23 Posts

June 27th, 2020 10:00

How to do that? Please share the solution with us.

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 19:00

Restore Bios Settings to "Factory reset".

There is no need to downgrade the Bios. 

108 Posts

July 21st, 2020 20:00

factory reset does not work

Intel updated microcode to disallow this. Combined with Dell's bad thermal design, these systems thermal throttle the heck out of everything. Pretty much useless as gaming systems now.

1 Message

August 25th, 2020 17:00

This; I had an issue with the BIOS upgrade and downgraded - still unable to undervolt. Then I read somewhere about resetting BIOS defaults and that fixed the issue.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2020 03:00

As of December 12, 2020 I have tried restoring bios to factory settings, tried the latest Throttlestop 9.2 and undervolted CPU Core and Cache and it has worked perfectly. Even with playing games CPU temps sit at around 60-70c when before it was always 90-99c. No more loud fans spinning

January 25th, 2022 11:00

Hey everyone, I found a solution! I know this is years later, but I have the G5 15 5590 (i7-9750H, Nvidia RTX 2060), and I've been struggling with high temps too, and not being able to undervolt due to BIOS updates...

Well, here's the solution: Power Options (built into windows 10 & 11). When you go to your power options, and hit Advanced Settings, there is an option for Processor Power Management. Under this, my laptop was set to have the Min and Max processor state at 100% when plugged in. I changed the Max to 90%, and min to 10%, and my temps IMMEDIATELY dropped. Playing Satisfactory, CPU was at 95-100C, and changing Max processor state to 90% dropped CPU temps to 70C max. Yes, a 30 degree C drop! Even better, framerate was unaffected (at least in my sample size of 1 game). I don't know if this is the same thing as undervolting, but the end result is lower temps and no FPS loss in game. Idle temps for my CPU went from 60-70C at 100% to 45-47C at 90%.

If anyone is still rocking the G5 15 5590 (or any laptop with temp issues for that matter) this option built right into Windows works great! (Tested on my laptop with Windows 11 and desktop with Windows 10) In Windows 11, hit the start button, type "power plan" and hit Edit Power Plan, then click Change Advanced Power Settings. In this new window, you can find and edit the Processor Power Management.

January 29th, 2022 08:00

After testing this solution out a little more, I think I have figured out what is actually happening when you change the Processor Power Mgmt. It seems that setting the max power to 99% will set the max clock speed to 2.50 - 2.58GHz. The Base speed of my processor is 2.59GHz. Setting the max power to 100% will let the processor boost the clock speed up to 3.96GHz at idle

So, adjusting the Max processor power level (0 - 99%) only effects the base clock speed, with 99% being 99% of your base clock speed. Any boost clock speeds are over 100%, according to this option it seems, and not configurable. If you wanted the max boost clock speed to be 3.25Ghz, well, there's no way to set that with this method.

Also, over time, there is a performance hit by setting the power limit to 99%, (again, in my sample size of 1 game).

So this is not the same as throttlestop or intel extreme tuning utility, but it's the closest we seem to have without reverting bios's and restoring factory settings in bios and such. Maybe this option will be good enough for someone.

No Events found!