Buzz635
3 Silver

G5 5587 Keyboard Problems

Jump to solution

I have been having some problems with my keyboard on my Dell G5 5587 laptop. A column of keys have stopped working: 2,w,s,x. Recently I replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU (nightmare). In the process I had to unplug all the ribbon cables and then plug them back in later. I have since used canned air to clean the ribbon cable and the connector and I have re-seated the cable at least three times to to no avail. However the keys aren't completely dead. I have noticed that sometimes If I hold down one of the non-functional keys and press the key to the right of it (for example hold down s and press d) it will work. Also if I do this enough and tap the non-functional keys enough they can temporarily start working again, however they sometimes stop working again and they always seem to stop working after I restart or go into and back out of sleep mode. I have also tried reinstalling drivers twice and it doesn't do anything. A new keyboard isn't that much but replacing it is a huge pain in the *** for this laptop. Because of me working on the laptop recently and since it is a whole column, part of me thinks it is a hardware problem, but since it didn't happen for a few weeks afterwards and came on slowly and because of them working sometimes part of me thinks it is a software problem. Anyone else had this problem before? Any advise? Also how much would it cost to send it to dell to be fixed of of warranty?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Amloth
2 Bronze

Re: Dell G5 5587 Keyboard Problems

Jump to solution

Update: I've noticed the warranty on my PC was still valid so I contacted Dell support (Italy) and in less than a week my PC has been fixed. They didn't give me the specifics, but I think the problem was definitely hardware.

Hope you all will find a solution, too! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
49 Replies
JOcean
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

Probably coincidence since it happened some weeks after you applied thermal paste. Plug in a USB external keyboard and see if the problem disappears. If so then the keyboard on the laptop needs replacing.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B-460 Torpedo MB with an Intel i5 10400
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done before going with a keyboard replacement?  I am experiencing the same issues and have to use the on-screen keyboard because the 2wsx and -p;/ keys are intermittent on my keyboard.  Sometimes they dont work, but then will randomly start working again with no change to the computer.  For instance, while typing this, the p key did not work at the beginning, started working while typing the second sentence, and then quit working again.  Very frustrating.

Kevinoid
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Same thing happens with my laptop (dell G5 15 5587). The w, s, x, 2 & Caps Lock works intermittently. It is incredibly frustrating. Please, any fix for this?

awwalsulayman
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

please I am having the same problem here, my letters 0,-,p,',;,/, (one straight column) and also letters 2,w,s,x f1 and caps button (one straight  column) please i really need help and beside I am from Nigeria, i really dont kno a trusted repair shop to give

darshan_10
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am also having similar problem.whole column of 2,w,s,x& caps stops working sometimes and if i hard press it ,starts working again. Please do let me know if u did anything regarding this problem.

@Buzz635 

@awwalsulayman 

@JOcean 

@ 

harishsubur
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

i have same problem with you 2wsx doesn't work, sometimes it works when i type it fast with another key, if you find any solution please tell me

arun516
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm facing the same problem from 13 January 2020.Some keys like f1,2,w,s,x,capslock,0,[,p,;,',/ and left shift are not working from time to time but works pressed for 5 to 8 seconds.Please let me know if this is a hardware issue or some software bug.

Thank you.

FalmbeLemming
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my G5 5587. The problem started this Jan 2020. Randomly 2wsx keys will stop working. I did not open or do anything  with it. The keys that I noticed first were the w and s. First, I blamed my gaming habit and may be dust, but then I realize that the 2 and x also not working with the w and s.

I can not replicate the problem consistently, but I found that the keys will stop working in the beginning when I open a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, or Edge). If I kept pressing the key (2,w,s,x) eventually they will work again.

Something must have happened in January 2020, an update from Dell or Windows 10 that caused this.

Aakash Gupta
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem. Any solutions?

I see that others also have the problems with 2,w,s,x keys.

Mine also started around starting of JAN 2020. Maybe its software based.

@Buzz635 

@darshan_10