Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2019 07:00

G5 5587 Keyboard Problems

I have been having some problems with my keyboard on my Dell G5 5587 laptop. A column of keys have stopped working: 2,w,s,x. Recently I replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU (nightmare). In the process I had to unplug all the ribbon cables and then plug them back in later. I have since used canned air to clean the ribbon cable and the connector and I have re-seated the cable at least three times to to no avail. However the keys aren't completely dead. I have noticed that sometimes If I hold down one of the non-functional keys and press the key to the right of it (for example hold down s and press d) it will work. Also if I do this enough and tap the non-functional keys enough they can temporarily start working again, however they sometimes stop working again and they always seem to stop working after I restart or go into and back out of sleep mode. I have also tried reinstalling drivers twice and it doesn't do anything. A new keyboard isn't that much but replacing it is a huge pain in the *** for this laptop. Because of me working on the laptop recently and since it is a whole column, part of me thinks it is a hardware problem, but since it didn't happen for a few weeks afterwards and came on slowly and because of them working sometimes part of me thinks it is a software problem. Anyone else had this problem before? Any advise? Also how much would it cost to send it to dell to be fixed of of warranty?

3 Posts

July 26th, 2020 12:00

Update: I've noticed the warranty on my PC was still valid so I contacted Dell support (Italy) and in less than a week my PC has been fixed. They didn't give me the specifics, but I think the problem was definitely hardware.

Hope you all will find a solution, too! 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 30th, 2019 08:00

Probably coincidence since it happened some weeks after you applied thermal paste. Plug in a USB external keyboard and see if the problem disappears. If so then the keyboard on the laptop needs replacing.

January 16th, 2020 03:00

please I am having the same problem here, my letters 0,-,p,',;,/, (one straight column) and also letters 2,w,s,x f1 and caps button (one straight  column) please i really need help and beside I am from Nigeria, i really dont kno a trusted repair shop to give

1 Message

February 7th, 2020 12:00

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done before going with a keyboard replacement?  I am experiencing the same issues and have to use the on-screen keyboard because the 2wsx and -p;/ keys are intermittent on my keyboard.  Sometimes they dont work, but then will randomly start working again with no change to the computer.  For instance, while typing this, the p key did not work at the beginning, started working while typing the second sentence, and then quit working again.  Very frustrating.

February 8th, 2020 21:00

I am also having similar problem.whole column of 2,w,s,x& caps stops working sometimes and if i hard press it ,starts working again. Please do let me know if u did anything regarding this problem.

@Buzz635 

@awwalsulayman 

@JOcean 

@ 

February 11th, 2020 20:00

i have same problem with you 2wsx doesn't work, sometimes it works when i type it fast with another key, if you find any solution please tell me

2 Posts

February 16th, 2020 07:00

I'm facing the same problem from 13 January 2020.Some keys like f1,2,w,s,x,capslock,0,[,p,;,',/ and left shift are not working from time to time but works pressed for 5 to 8 seconds.Please let me know if this is a hardware issue or some software bug.

Thank you.

February 19th, 2020 05:00

I have the same problem with my G5 5587. The problem started this Jan 2020. Randomly 2wsx keys will stop working. I did not open or do anything  with it. The keys that I noticed first were the w and s. First, I blamed my gaming habit and may be dust, but then I realize that the 2 and x also not working with the w and s.

I can not replicate the problem consistently, but I found that the keys will stop working in the beginning when I open a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, or Edge). If I kept pressing the key (2,w,s,x) eventually they will work again.

Something must have happened in January 2020, an update from Dell or Windows 10 that caused this.

February 20th, 2020 17:00

I have the exact same problem. Any solutions?

I see that others also have the problems with 2,w,s,x keys.

Mine also started around starting of JAN 2020. Maybe its software based.

@Buzz635 

@darshan_10 

1 Message

March 18th, 2020 13:00

I have also same issue with keyboard after January 2020 2wsx,f1,capslock key stop working...and sometimes it works by it's self ..and after some time it stops automatically...

1 Message

March 18th, 2020 15:00

I started having the same problem just a few weeks ago.  The 2,w,s,z, keys sometimes stop working. But if you hold the key, it starts to work and then usually works for a few days and then the same thing again. It seems if this was a hardware problem, it would not act like this. Any ideas?

1 Message

March 22nd, 2020 06:00

Same problem here, have had the issue since January. It is really annoying, and especially since I take great care of my gadgets. This one has almost not been moved from my desk for months, except to be cleaned. I have not opened, hit, or tinkered in any way with it. It does not even have a scratch!! 

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 09:00

Same problem here. 2wsx. Very frustrating.

1 Message

April 8th, 2020 03:00

Same problem here. My dell G5 5587 has an issue with its keyboard wsx2 keys are not working from time to time. Did we resolve this issue? is it a hardware problem or a driver problem

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 8th, 2020 03:00

Check if the keys are stuck on keyboard. Another step you can try is to check the keyboard functionality in safe mode and see if it exhibits the same behavior there as well. 

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  • Select the user account at the log in screen.
  • Try using your computer and see if the issue persists there. 

In case of keyboard, you may also try using a USB keyboard and see if it works. If issue persists, remove the USB keyboard and use an Onscreen keyboard to see if the issue persists with that as well. 

To use On screen keyboard:

• Choose Start/Windows logo → Control Panel → Ease of Access → Ease of Access Center.
  • Click the Start On-Screen Keyboard button.
  • Test out the on-screen keyboard input in any application where you can enter text.
  • Click Options, select the Turn on numeric key pad check box, and then click OK.
  • Open a notepad and try typing on that by clicking on the keys of On screen keyboard.
No Events found!