Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: G5 5587 fps drops-Dell is awful!

Jump to solution

Dell just got back to me a day after we submitted the results of a system diagnostic, one that yielded zero errors/faults. They have determined that it is ‘software related problem’  that is causing our lowered fps and gpu performance. Having no clue what the issue actually is, they have offered us three tiers of service to remotely address an as yet undiagnosed problem, services that range in cost for between $130 and $250...this 3 months out of  a one year warranty!

Of course, stressing our savings by choosing one of their ’support’ bundles...

So, we are expected to pay 1/4 of the computer's purchase price to ‘maybe’ fix the problem?!?!

Say what you will about Apple, they will at least help you, no matter how old, useless and decrepit the product may be.

Dell, you are a terrible company!

Thanks for absolutely nothing!

(1)
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: G5 5587 fps drops-Dell is awful!

Jump to solution

Yea after a year or so of trying to fix it I still havent been able to up my frame rate. Long story short I ve stopped gaming entirely because if i continued trying with this brick i would've probably smashed it into pieces. I ve taken it apart a couple of times over the course of this year and cleaned as much of the dust that came through the vents as I could but I think the damage is done. I cant be sure what issue has been but I am pretty sure it's not just a software issue. And the fact that dell is telling people to pay 150-200£ to attempt to remotely fix the problem is kinda scummy. The lesson from this story is if you want a serious gaming machine save up and either buy a quality laptop or a desktop. These mid-range gaming laptops are a trap. 

(1)
1 Copper

Re: G5 5587 fps drops

Jump to solution

hi i have had this computer for a year and for the last six month the performance has been terrible the cpu usage goes down 50 % and frames in games go down to 1 when plugged in and i have updated all the needed drivers.the laptop is getting power throttled how can i fix that

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: G5 5587 fps drops

Jump to solution

Total nightmare....

First, because it was 3 months out of warranty I HAD to purchase a new extended warranty ($160) before anyone would even talk to me. Did that, followed by multiple 90 min-2hour phone/remote trouble shooting sessions.

Low GPU performance and frame rate drops still occurred after all the updates were done remotely. I was told they would dispatch a new motherboard and GPU (Nvidia I was assuming) to be installed at my house this past Tuesday. CPU installed, but now Nvidia not being recognized, and by virtue of that, my HDMI port (connected to Nvidia graphics card) also not recognized.

2 more hours with support...Nvidia now recognized, but Frame rate issue still occurring. Still not sure why the dedicated graphics card was not replaced at the same time as CPU. They stress tested it remotely, but it could have been that the GPU was failing and it defaulted to the Intel integrated graphics card which would never be able to handle the games my son plays. So, Tuesday I was told a new CPU and GPU (Nvidia) would be dispatched for tech visit and install today (Thursday). I get a call from the guy managing the case  asking how things were going, I said they weren't, and that support had ordered another dispatch of parts for repair. He tells me nothing is in the system for dispatch(!?!?!?!?).

So, after all this my sole option is to ship it now to a Dell Service Center, thus prolonging the process. Rationale being that if tech who replaced CPU came out again to replace CPU and GPU he still wouldn't run a complete diagnostic of software and hardware, 'not his job' I ws told. The CoronaVirus hasn't made this any easier for Dell or us.

This is my son's gaming laptop. We come from an Apple world, and say what you will about Apple, at a certain point they will just replace the computer. As pissed as I am, my only goal now, with us all being stuck the house, is that he will at least be  able to connect with his friends while gaming as they have been confined for the last few weeks. 

Not so with Dell, they require you to go through all of the steps...ALL of the steps, which is fine except when the home visit didn't even leave me one step forward, I was in fact 2 steps back, needing to get the computer to first recognize the Nvidia before we could even see if the motherboard replacement fixed the original issue.

3 months out of warranty what choice does one have? Pay for the extended warranty or be left with a paperweight or a gaming laptop incapable of gaming. I'm waiting for for the shipping box to arrive tomorrow when I'll send the laptop off for a complete service.

I'll update with performance results following the repair, if they indeed repair it.

(1)