Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2019 07:00

G7 17 7790 extremely hot when in sleep mode

I recently purchased a Dell G7 17 7790 laptop. I often use Sleep Mode when I'm not using my laptop. On many occasions, I've noticed the temperature around the back portion of the keyboard gets extremely hot - where the power/fingerprint reader button - with temps approaching and/or exceeding 210°F; I know that's the temp because, when I awaken the laptop, I use the Alienware Command Center to observe the current temp. The CPU and System fans immediately kick in to cool the system down. While that cooling happens quickly, this is very concerning to me. I do not understand why the temperatures get so hot. I mean, at times, it's almost too hot for me to touch the power button. Is this a known issue?

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 9th, 2020 03:00

Sounds like connected standby (i.e. computer is not entering S3 sleep mode when you close the lid). You can confirm this by opening the command prompt and entering 'powercfg -a' - this will show you whether or not S3 is enabled.

You might be able to enable S3 sleep in your BIOS. If not, the best way to mitigate this issue is to disable network activity while in sleep mode and enable hibernate after 30-60 minutes (these options are available in the power and sleep settings).

November 30th, 2019 04:00

My G7 laptop does not get as hot as yours, but I am also worried that from time to time, it is warm when I wake it out of sleep, after several hours left alone. The worst part is that sometimes, my battery drains when I leave it unplugged. I then lose the work I had up and running and have to reboot the laptop. I wonder what may cause this and if there is a workaround.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 30th, 2019 13:00

HI,

I've replied to you over a Private note.

Please check and respond so that we can take the case further.

Prajwal P

3 Posts

November 30th, 2019 13:00

I have the same problem
the computer does not go to sleep.
Therefore, it consumes batteries and is hot.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2020 03:00

Same issue here : very hot after one hour and 60% battery consumed

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 14:00

I purchased my Dell G7 17 7790 on January 13, 2020, from Best Buy. Apparently no fix has happened since mine is also heating up while on suspend. So is there a fix on the way?

3 Posts

March 11th, 2020 07:00

I just got mine yesterday and can confirm it doesn't sleep, seems to be an issue with the BIOS if I had to guess even though its enabled currently in the  BIOS, funny thing there is a "Block Sleep" in the BIOS so I'm wondering if its actually enabled even though it says its not. Regardless I just set it to hibernate when I close the lid for now since sleep doesn't work.

Update: Sometimes it actually seems to sleep, turning off the keyboard and power light, other times it actually just turns the screen off, seems to be a hit or miss and its random.

1 Message

April 8th, 2020 23:00

I have the same problem, is there a resolution to this ?

No Events found!