Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

108 Posts

June 15th, 2020 15:00

G7 7588 - BIOS UPDATE CAUSES OVERHEATING, THROTTLING, PREVENTS UNDERVOLTING

This is infuriating. The latest BIOS update adds some new Intel microcode which prevents the CPU from being undervolted or controlled by ThrottleStop. Now EVERY game results in frames dropping below 20 because of throttling.

I had a solution to undervolt and prevent the CPU from getting too hot and was able to smoothly play games, which now will not work.

108 Posts

July 1st, 2020 18:00

Temporary fix:

Disable Intel CPU turbo in BIOS.

CPU runs at max frequency of ~2.2GHz and doesn't overheat while gaming. This is NOT a solution; users should not have to work around overheating issues.

108 Posts

July 8th, 2020 18:00

Update: this actually doesn't solve the problem. With the ability to undervolt previously, it would actually run much cooler. In intense multithreaded games such as COD: MW, the CPU is still throttling and causes stuttering.

Any fix in the works?

108 Posts

July 10th, 2020 14:00

^

108 Posts

July 12th, 2020 16:00

Still waiting

108 Posts

July 17th, 2020 10:00

^

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 01:00

IT IS EXACT THE SAME WITH ME. I AM SO FRUSTRATED BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO

108 Posts

July 21st, 2020 20:00

Yep, it really . I won't be buying Dell in the future...

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 02:00

and i don't even think reinstalling windows will help.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 02:00

I contacted dell and they said i have to reinstall windows . I spent so much money on this laptop and i haven't found a proper fix and now since my laptop is out of warranty they are saying if re-installation doesn't work then ill have to pay them and get my motherboard and heat sink replaced. I have a dell G7 7588 laptop. If anyone finds a fix please help asap. getting really frustrated. Someone pls pls pls pls help.

108 Posts

July 24th, 2020 06:00

@harshit_pdon't even follow that advice, it won't do anything. that is just their standard reply. it is a hardware issue.

108 Posts

August 21st, 2020 15:00

still exists

108 Posts

September 11th, 2020 22:00

no fix yet

108 Posts

November 24th, 2020 19:00

no fix

1 Message

November 30th, 2020 07:00

Yup- me too! They don't even care in the slightest and there's nothing we can do about it. Literally ten seconds ago I was trying to make an account on the DELL website and it was daunting to say the least Gmail was straight up broken while Facebook simply didn't work because of the needed email. Anyways back to the point I called DELL support and they said the good old you need a replacement for parts. I legit knew more than the guy on the phone about Dell's computers. I said ok and they said they were sending over a box to ship my computer over and get it fixed- when it wasn't even broken. In the end they never sent me anything and gave me the good old middle finger. There's nothing we or they can do, simply because no one cares. They fry our computers and CPUs and make it impossible to change the voltage and fans. It's literally the dumbest things ever. Do they think we'll buy more of their products when the pc's start massively overheating and break because of the lack of control. They literally made sure all ways we have to make sure the CPU doesn't overheat aren't accessible. It's even more funny that dell usually responds to the THOUSAND of request about this same issue with the same garbage replies. THEY DON'T CARE AND THEY NEVER WILLLLLL

1 Message

February 17th, 2021 13:00

so the problem is that there is a temperature sensor on the back side of the board that when it hits 60 c limmits the cpu power to 31 watts and when the gpu hits 70 c it does the same. but when the sensor hits 61 c it limits the cpu to 15 watts knee capping it with low frequency but once the temp goes back down due to limited heat out put it will go right back up to 45 w. I am currently trying to find the sensor to add cooling to it so it stops lagging.

No Events found!