JosephWard
1 Copper

Gaming performance better on monitor that built in display (Same resolution)

Hi all, 

So I noticed this recently with my gaming inspiron 15 7567. Playing any game on the built in display compared to a same resolution monitor, the performance is noticeably worse. I've checked the graphics settings for nvidia and intel, and can't find anything that might cause this. I was wondering if maybe the built in display draws graphics through the integrated intel card after the nvidia gpu, whereas maybe the monitor is drawn directly from the nvidia card, hence the increased speed. I've tried optimising the pc with dell software, virus scans, installing stock intel 630 hd graphics drivers, reinstalling nvidia card drivers, and nothing has helped. Anyone else experienced this, or got any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Gaming performance better on monitor that built in display (Same resolution)

Hi JosephWard,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Does the computer perform normally outside of the game?  Are you having trouble with streaming videos, recorded video or audio?  mp4's?  If not, then you may wish to consult the game's manufacturer for additional support.

Here are some articles from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Troubleshooting Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

How to Troubleshoot Video Issues on your Dell Laptop Computer

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
JosephWard
1 Copper

Re: Gaming performance better on monitor that built in display (Same resolution)

Heya, 

Unfortunately the issue seems to be present in most new games I attempt to run, rather than just limited to one game. Older games tend to run fine as they don't really push the system I guess. I occasionally notice some stutter in video playback, more so than when I first bought the laptop, but I don't know if that is related. I'll have a look at those support articles though, thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Prior to purchasing a game, perhaps checking the specifications and consulting the manufacturer to see if your system will play it might be an idea.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
JosephWard
1 Copper

I always do check as I like to play something that my laptop can supposedly handle, but I've never seen a specification that discusses whether the game requires your laptop to be outputting through a monitor for best performance. The issue isn't that my laptop can't handle it at all, the problem is that it is significantly slower when outputting through the built in display when compared to outputting through an external monitor, which I feel could potentially be a driver or hardware issue 😕 Thanks for the advice though 🙂

0 Kudos