Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

4 Posts

January 8th, 2019 15:00

Grinding/buzzing noise from Fan - Dell G3 15

Please Help, there is a really loud grinding/buzzing sound from fans when I use the laptop. The laptop fans suddenly start running really fast and this grinding/buzzing sound appears. This is really annoying and puts the laptop out of function. Please find a solution. Or please tell me if I can exchange for a new laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 8th, 2019 15:00

I am assuming that your laptop is under warranty? It is possible that the fans have a problem.You can run diagnostics on the system but I would also suggest you call Dell tech support for your region. The can diagnose and decide a course of action.

But restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full system diagnostics paying attention to the fan results. But even if everything passes I would suggest calling tech support.

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 11:00

I have the exact same problem, I ran the BIOS diagnostics and everything came back clear, but during testing, it was obviously the video card fan that was the one clicking/buzzing strangely. 

February 17th, 2019 14:00

Due to the Buzzing Fan - I got my Laptop fans replaced, and even after that it still makes the buzzing/grinding noise, furthermore the laptop is now overheating as well, even after repairs. This is a big PROBLEM - I don't know what to do will they allow a refund?

1 Message

March 3rd, 2019 07:00

I'm having the same issue.

I tried to check the fan using a flashlight while it's on, and I saw the fan going on and off.

I'll have this checked to the store where I purchased it for parts replacement using my warranty.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 4th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please update the following drivers.

Intel Chipset Device driver software
Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Driver
BIOS (even if you have the latest version)

March 5th, 2019 03:00

How do i find my bios version?

March 22nd, 2019 13:00

I have exactly the same problem. I thought it was the HDD so replaced it with an SSD but now its very obvious its one of the fans. It makes a loud scratching and scraping, then goes quite for a bit. On old servers this was usually down to the fan being worn out and the bearings going allowing it to scape the housing , but I would not expect this on a laptop less then six months old.

As others have said when it makes a noise its very loud, especially as the machine is normally quiet.

3 Posts

March 24th, 2019 14:00

I have a similar problem too!! In my case I think it’ s the HDD but also the fun run amd make noise also when the pc is stopped at the desktop view

1 Message

September 6th, 2019 18:00

Have you solved this yet? My G3 just started making an extremely loud grinding noise yesterday and wont stop now

September 7th, 2019 03:00

Hi there, I sent my Laptop to repairs about 4 months ago. They'd replaced the heatsink and fans. As of now the laptop is doing fans are not making noises, I hope it will continue to be like this.

Regards

Immanuel

1 Message

September 9th, 2019 10:00

Hey folks, 

This issue is due to the poor design of the CPU radiator and how it fits.

I got the same issue. After disassembly, I managed to locate the issue and put a little piece of bandage there to remove the gap between the radiator and the plastic. I had to repeat it a few times, but eliminated the annoying noise eventually. Also replaced the thermal paste since the original was poorly applied.

It's easy to locate, you just tap on the radiator and you'll hear the sound.

Don't want to use the warranty cuz: 

a) It's unlikely that they would fix it (as you see from the previous comments)

b) They take way too much time for trivial fixes, plus the delivery time.

c) Technical support LOVES doing extremely-unlikely-to-be-helpful procedures (bios updates, post results in this case). Sometimes it involves useless reinstalling of the OS, which then requires me to spend days on getting back all the cfg. So normally, I make images of my hdds before using warranty service.

Hope this helps

September 30th, 2019 10:00

Hello, how are you?
I wonder if the problem was solved with the bandage?

Where precisely did you put the bandage? My G3, when I'm in a quiet room and demanding minimal CPU power, also makes a fan noise. Mine looks like it's on the GPU fan. I already took 2x to clean and refit, but the noise remains. It's very low, but it looks like a neutral engine.

Unlike the CPU fan that only listens to the wind.

2 Posts

October 5th, 2019 23:00

I've had this problem since I bought the laptop and its really getting the best of me, I've sent it of to warranty multiple times (3) and the problem was never actually solved... Could you please show us where did you put the bandage, and what material/amount is the bandage made of? Please? It would help me once and for all solve the issue that's annoying the heck out of me for almost a year now

1 Message

January 8th, 2020 18:00

I'm having the same problem. Dell support has attempted to repair twice now. Their quality control follow-up is missing the fact that they are replacing the wrong fan. It is a very audible vibration from the fan that is on the bottom right side of the laptop when tilting the screen back and down. If they would load the pc it can be heard. 

January 27th, 2020 00:00

Does the bandaging fix the issue of G3 fans constantly breaking down? And could you please share the exact location of where did you put the bandage?

Thank you

No Events found!