Highlighted
1 Copper

HELP!! New Inspiron 15-3567 with horrible internet speeds

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15-3567 a month ago and I am having issues with the wifi on it. Dell has completely abandoned me unless I pay for an upgraded warranty (on a one month old laptop) because they have deemed it isn't a "hardware" issue and they keep blaming my ISP for the issue.

The problem however is completely local to this laptop as every other device on my network (2 smart phones, 3 other Dell laptops) have 50+mbps download speeds. This laptop is only getting 12-13 max from the same distance from the router. Additionally, when I plug in an ethernet cord, I get 100+mbps, so there is something going on with the wifi on this particular laptop. 

I have never had issue like this on any other device have searched for solutions on my own and found the "Smartbyte" suggestion- I have removed both the program and drivers/ services and it didn't make any difference. I have also completely reinstalled Windows with no improvement. Lastly, I ran the following in command prompt: netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log, netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log with no resulting changes.

If anyone has any other possible solutions I would really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: HELP!! New Inspiron 15-3567 with horrible internet speed

Check Smartbyte again as Dell update has a tendency to auto download the program without you knowing about it. Check your wireless settings as that speed sounds suspiciously like 802.11b. Also make sure you are connected to the 5G band of the router. Sorry if this is redundant to your troubleshooting already.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: HELP!! New Inspiron 15-3567 with horrible internet speed

@JOcean wrote:

Check Smartbyte again as Dell update has a tendency to auto download the program without you knowing about it. Check your wireless settings as that speed sounds suspiciously like 802.11b. Also make sure you are connected to the 5G band of the router. Sorry if this is redundant to your troubleshooting already.

Thank you for the ideas- I am really at a loss. I have confirmed that Smartbyte is no longer on the system, but I'm unsure how to check the wireless settings on my computer to see if it is 802.11b. The thing that is strange is when I look at the wireless connection info about my adapter, it says that I am getting 72 mbps, but the reality during any 3rd party speed test is 12-13 mbps.

As for the 5G band, I know that the wireless card that is installed only has 2.4G connection. It does say that it is 802.11 b/g/n though. Could the fact that it is only 2.4G be creating the issue? I am only about 15 ft away from the router when I am getting those slower speeds (12-13 mbps)

0 Kudos