I bought a 2017 Dell Inspiron 300 series Windows 10 pre-installed in February & after 6 weeks it started freezing (especially iTunes), programs opened & closed spontaneously, the laptop would just freeze. ALL of the screens of death. F2 startup menu claims no hard drive. No boot device detected F2 startup menu claims no hard drive. Hard drive crashed. & new Western Digital external drive which was supposed to be continuously saving was actually only going thru the motions. The light was blinking but no saving. NEED info on hard drive. Dell replaced it but it only lasted 2 months. Same problems. Mouse driver update = it no longer works. 'net says it's a common Windows 10 problem. Touchpad is iffy, 50/50 it might respond. From there I discovered online that my hard drive issues are widely shared & possibly/probably caused by glitches with Windows 10. Dell customer service is telephone only for Canada & the line is terrible. It keeps cutting out & dropping calls. NOT my phone's fault since it's the only # I've called with this cell to have this problem. Long distance (India). Don't care where support is but iChat removed from Dell Canada site? So much easier but now forced to waste more time hunting answers online. Dell customer care/tech support = replace hard drive & no help with mouse. Command Prompt via Dell usb Windoows 10 recovery stick: FixBoot= I/O error FixMbr = I/O error ScanOS = successful but no Windows found so it fails RebuildBcd = I/O error BootMgr = I/O error chkdsy = Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected. All found "solutions" failed. Restoring from Dell Windows 10 usb = Drive Space is too small. Found solutions to convince PC re: this issue are a bust. Tried ALL 'net solutions but nothing works. Any help? Thnx
1. I bought a 2017 Dell Inspiron 300 series
2. new Western Digital external drive which was supposed to be continuously saving was actually only going thru the motions. The light was blinking but no saving. NEED info on hard drive.
3. Dell replaced it but it only lasted 2 months.
1. Did you mean Dell Inspiron 3000 ?
2. Possibly. I don't use that included backup software. But someone here said once that it can appear to be empty backups if your new Windows user-name is not exactly the same as the old one (when backups were created).
I use Macrium Reflect. It does everything.
3. Replaced the whole computer?
Sorry, forgot to add:
Windows Family edition 64 bits
ePSA - Build 4304.09 UEFI ROM
Model # P25T Inspiron 11-3168
Error code - 2000-142 = hard drive fail
Answers to your questions
1. Dell Inspiron 11 - Series 3000/Model 3168
2. Does not apply. External, detachable West Digital hard drive.
3. Have a Purolator delivery form to ship laptop to Dell repairs but NEED info on PC. Dell will only replace internal hard drive again & 'net searches show there is a common Windows 10 correlating problem.