Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

544 Posts

February 14th, 2020 16:00

How Did Dell Mess This Up? (Product Info)

On my Inspiron 3583, if I go to Devices & Printers in the Control Panel and double-click on the computer icon (containing the computer's name) under the devices category, I get a dialog box that's suppose to show basic product information about the computer. However, Dell neglected to fill in the fields, which leaves most of them showing default/standard text. To make things worse, it also makes Windows think that my computer is a desktop PC, when it is really a laptop.

insiron 3583 device properties.png

It should say, at least to my knowledge...
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Inspiron
Model number: 3583
Categories: Notebook PC
Description:

If I check this screen on my old HP 250 G4 laptop, its all filled in correctly. I'm guessing this information is gathered from the firmware, so if Dell was to correct this in a firmware update, then this dialog should display the correct information. Does anyone else's Dell display missing or incomplete information too?

293 Posts

February 15th, 2020 01:00

What do you see when you click on Start, Settings, Systems, About?

What do you see when you click on Control Panel, System & Security, System[computer]?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

February 15th, 2020 02:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Kflash08 

Until the so called "eClerx" team approves of your image only you can see it.

And if there is a holiday in India it could be Monday at best.

That's odd, I just checked my HP and it shows it as a "Desktop" but when I clicked on it, it does show as a "Notebook" PC???

For "Product Information" I prefer to use the "Widows Key" + R 

Then type "msinfo32" and hit enter.

Best regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

544 Posts

February 15th, 2020 17:00

System Information shows the manufacturer, model, etc. correctly. Just not under Devices and Printers.

3 Apprentice

• 

544 Posts

February 15th, 2020 17:00

System properties shows Dell as the manufacturer and Inspiron 3583 as the model. However, these were originally hidden for some strange reason until I opened Registry Editor, navigated to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation and changed HelpCustomized from 1 to 0.

The about page under Settings > System shows Inspiron 3583 under device specifications. Everything else in that section is hardware & Windows ID related.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

February 17th, 2020 16:00

Hi Kflash08 :

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 5584 laptop in August 2019 and see the same "DESKTOP" and generic "(Standard system devices)" for the manufacturer at Control Panel | Devices & Printers | Devices ...

Dell Inspiron 5584 Control Panel Devices and Printers Manufacturer Unknown 17 Feb 2020 .png

... although Start | Settings | System | About does detect that I have an Inspiron 5584 manufactured by Dell.

I've had no end of grief with this laptop (e.g., system freezes, BSODs, ACPI Wake Alarms that wake the computer computer from sleep mode when it tries to switch to hibernate mode, Dell SupportAssist errors when searching for driver updates, etc.) and so far DELL-Cares has been unable to solve any of these problems.

I've also noticed that some of the drivers and software listed on the support page <here> for the Inspiron 5584 [e.g., the urgent Toshiba Solid-State Drive Firmware Update for KBG40ZNS128G/KBG40ZNS256G/KBG40ZNS512G/KBG40ZNS1T02 (Package RV9HD, v1041.0104_A00, rel. 21-Oct-2019)] that appear to match my system configuration disappear when I enter my Service Tag. When I check the properties of my Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD in Device Manager:

• The General tab lists the Manufacturer as "(Standard disk drives)",
  • The Volumes tab does not populate automatically (and third-party utilities like Speccy and HDDScan report that my hard drive does not support basic S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics), and
  • The Driver tab says I currently have a generic Microsoft driver v10.0.18362.1 dated 21-Jun-2006 [although the drivers listed when I click the Driver Details button (partmgr.sys, disk.sys and EhStorClass.sys; all located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers) are dated 16-Aug-2019 or 18-Mar-2019].

I've found other devices on my laptop (e.g., my precision touchpad) that have these odd generic Microsoft drivers dated 21-Jun-2006 (see my image in Inspiron 5584 - Wrong Touchpad Driver?).

Dell Inspiron 5584 Device Manager Toshiba SSD General Tab 17 Feb 2020.png

Dell Inspiron 5584 Device Manager Toshiba SSD Volumes Tab 17 Feb 2020.png

Dell Inspiron 5584 Device Manager Toshiba SSD Driver Tab 17 Feb 2020.png

------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.592 * Firefox ESR v68.5.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2001.7 * Malwarebytes Free v3.8.3
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

3 Apprentice

• 

544 Posts

February 17th, 2020 19:00

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Inspiron 5584. From what I can gather about my system, it appears to have been manufactured around the same time as yours. I haven't run into any of the problems that you've been experiencing, but I'm still ironing out other issues, mostly driver related. Have you tried running the SupportAssist Diagnostics?

I can't see your images at the moment (probably still waiting to be reviewed and approved). Something makes me think that this problem could be Windows 10 related, but than again, I have an Acer desktop from 2008 that displays the device properties screen correctly.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

February 19th, 2020 07:00

Hi Kflash08:

The Hard Drive Long Test on the SupportAssist v3.4.1.49 Troubleshooting tab reports "Passed", but given all the problems I currently have with SupportAssist I don't really trust any diagnostic this utility runs in its current state (see my thread Inspiron 5584 / SA v3.4.0 - "Get Drivers & Downloads" Error as well as my latest post in Caramel4406's thread Dell Support Website Doesn't Recognize that SupportAssist is Installed). I tried the online diagnostic tool at https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/quicktest today, but like the support page <here> for the Inspiron 5584, this online tool also reports that the hardware tests can't run because it doesn't detect that SupportAssist is installed on my system ("You need SupportAssist"). A clean reinstall of SupportAssist hasn't helped and DELL-Cares hasn't been able to solve any of these problems so I'm currently testing the Dell Update UWP Application v3.1.0. Unlike SupportAssist, the Dell Update UWP app is able to detect newly released software and driver updates for my Inspiron 5584 Service Tag, although it has one minor glitch of its own (see my thread Inspiron 5584 - Dell Update Notification "The system has been updated").

I don't know if this is relevant, but Dell Moderator jbilinski posted recently in the thread SupportAssist Will Not Scan Hardware  that "According to the PCDr team, the binaries to call HW Test are being blocked by some anti-virus software like McAfee LiveSafe and in some versions of Malwarebytes". I don't run Malwarebytes in real-time protection mode on my Inspiron 5584 and I wiped the 30-day trial of McAfee LiveSafe (which Dell, ironically, installs on most home computer systems as part of the factory image) with the McAfee Removal Tool MCPR.exe but perhaps there are conflicts with with SupportAssist v3.4.1.49 and other antivirus programs like my Windows Defender v4.18.2001.7 that Dell hasn't discovered yet.

I don't want to take your thread off-topic troubleshooting my own problems, but just wanted to let you know that I see the same nondescript system information at Control Panel | Devices & Printers | Devices, except that your Inspiron 3853 is displayed as Model 08CA while my Inspiron 5584 is displayed as Model 08FA. When I purchased my Inspiron laptop in August 2019 from the Dell Canada for Home online store at https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/new-inspiron-15-5000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-5584-laptop it was advertised as a "new" model; within a week the hardware specs had changed (e.g., Win 10 Pro was the only OS offered but a few days after I placed my order this was changed to Win 10 Home with an optional upgrade to Win 10 Pro), and within a few months the Inspiron 5584 had been discontinued. Dell has already released three urgent BIOS firmware updates for the Inspiron 5583 / 5584 in the past five months (v1.7.1, v1.8.0 and v1.9.1) as well as multiple updates for SupportAssist, and every BIOS update seems to create new problems on my laptop. I don't know if Dell needed to clear out unsold stock with 8th gen CPUs and just re-imaged my 15" laptop with Win 10 Pro v1903 to push it out the door and make way for newer models with 9th and 10th gen CPUs, but there could be an issue with the way SupportAssist and/or my current BIOS communicates with my hardware devices - especially the ones that use the generic Microsoft drivers I mentioned <above> in my previous post.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.592 * Firefox ESR v68.5.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2001.7 * Malwarebytes Free v3.8.3
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

October 19th, 2020 07:00

Start. Settings. Systems. About shows DESKTOP-MU2H4K2

October 19th, 2020 07:00

Control panel. System and Security. System shows my 5593 laptop as DESKTOP-MU2H4K2

No Events found!