Highlighted
2 Bronze

How do i fix a recycled computer?

I was trying to REBOOT my old Inspiron computer to have it clean and almost refurbished for my mom to use it. I went to the setting and discovered an option that went along the lines of:

"Recycle- will delete the memory store and ready it for another person to use"

I clicked on it, hoping that it would make the computer brand new. 24 hours later, I give my computer to my mom, only to find out that it completely WIPED out everything that the computer had. It did give me an option to install a program that will allow the computer to go back to functioning normally. It would forever and the computer itself would just restart. I decided to send a message to costumer service and they didn't help me at all. Once they found that warranty has expired they just said good bye and have a nice day, requiring me to pay just to answer a simple question. All I need is this simple question to be answer so that I can do it on my own and fix it.

HOW can I restore the computer; IF possible, to make it go to factory reset?

INSPI 11 3168

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Re: How do i fix a recycled computer?

Can you please post the model number of the system? However not knowing which version of Windows you have try the following support page. You can download a Dell recovery image and use it to install the OS and drivers as the system came from the factory. You do need the service tag number but that should be on the system already.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cadhs1/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-reco...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
2 Bronze

where can I find the model number, I know the model name, and the service tag.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

When I wiped by new Inspiron (By accident) I just went on dell.com and got the "Dell OS recovery tool" on another PC, used the service tag (bottom) on my inspiron, and burned a new copy of windows to a USB. Then booted into it, installed windows 10, set it up, connected it to ethernet, and ran windows update to get all the drivers. Then it was all set and working.

(IF YOUR INSPIRON DIDNT COME WITH WINDOWS 10, IT SHOULD STILL WORK IN THE OS TOOL (It will list supportassist/win7-8-10) IF IT DOES NOT LIST THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS VERSION, DO NOT PROCEED.

I dont want you to brick your pc.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

okay, so when it turns on, i stick in the USB and download the OS onto it? it should have the Windows 10 since i got the computer last year

Highlighted
3 Argentum

On another PC, download OS recovery, enter your service tag (windows 10 should pop up under supportassist, select win10.), and burn windows 10 on a usb.

Then, when the usb is burned with the win10 installer, put it in the inspiron and turn the laptop on. It should go right to the installer.

hope that helps.

BETTER INSTRUCTIONS/DOWNLOAD: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery...

0 Kudos