Unsolved

K

3 Posts

April 7th, 2021 06:00

How to disable Nvidia graphic card? Inspiron 5501

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 5501, with two graphics cards:

- GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G1
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX330

OS: Manjaro Ornara 21 KDE. I want to disable Nvidia. My BIOS version is 1.4.3. I have no idea why Nvidia is working even if I coding. I found that its temperature is 45*C. I’ve try to find something in BIOS, but this new version is so confusing. Can you help me to disable Nvidia and make Intel as primary?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Usually, when a laptop has two video devices, the Intel is primary and the NVIDIA is only for gaming.  Its how my Inspiron 5577 is configured..

If yours is defaulted to the NVIDIA you can disable it in the Device Manager.  RIGHT click on the "Windows" start button (bottom left of screen) and then LEFT click Device Manager.  The Intel and NVIDA should be listed under "Display Adapters".  RIGHT click on the NVIDIA entry and then LEFT click Disable device.  This should force it to use the Intel video.  

I use my 5577 in my recording studio and do not want or need NVIDIA for recordings studio ops and the procedure listed is how I disabled NVIDIA in the 5577.

3 Posts

I am not on Windows. I am using Manjaro Linux, based on Arch. I am asking if there is an option to do it in BIOS or somehow through command line

@fireberd 

3 Posts

April 7th, 2021 07:00

I see, but you said your Nvidia works when it is needed, so how can you explain that my Nvidia is ~45*C? I am not playing games and not working with graphics. Home temperature is 20, so i think 30*C for not working Graphic Card is top.

@fireberd 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

The BIOS options are listed in the service manual, starting at page 63.  I don't see an option listed to disable the NVIDIA.

Inspiron 5501 Service Manual (dell.com)

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

In a running notebook, the mainboard is likely in the 40-50 C range -- so it's entirely possible the GPU is at 40 C even if it's not being used.

In any case, this is a software-controlled hybrid -- the GPU in use is controlled by the drivers you have loaded.  You cannot select the GPU at the firmware level.

1 Message

June 15th, 2023 16:00

Hi kukers,

I know this post comes a bit late but was going through your question and wanted explain the actual reason why the discrete videocard is warm even if it's not in use.

You see, most laptops use the same heatsink, pipes and fan to cool down both the CPU and the discrete GPU and that will make both the CPU and the dedicated GPU video card evenly hot whether you use the discrete videocard or not (this excludes gaming laptops or very powerful ones used for software development with separate cooling heatsink and fans)

I still recommend disabling the dedicated video card in Device Manager like the other post suggested when you don't need it.

I would also recommend disabling Turbo Boost on any laptop with a quad core CPU that runs at least @ 1.6 GHz. This can be easily done in BIOS for most Dell laptops.

Thanks.

No Events found!