Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 27th, 2018 16:00

How to keep keyboard backlight on on Inspiron 15 7000

How do you keep the backlit keyboard on on this thing?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Press F2 while the system is booting in order to enter the BIOS Setup, and somewhere in there you should see a section for Keyboard Illumination that will allow you to customize brightness and the timeout value.  However, keeping the backlight permanently on (assuming that's even an option) will reduce your battery life and may be a distraction if you're trying to watch a movie in the dark or something.  On my laptop, I allow the backlight to power off after I think 20 seconds, and if I need to wake it back up, I do so by pressing something like the Left Ctrl key since it's easy to find by feel (very lower left corner of the keyboard) and there are very few applications where pressing that key by itself triggers any action.

4 Posts

i'll try this.. anyway, if i have to turn it off, i'm assuming pressing F10 will work, or no?

4 Posts

February 27th, 2018 17:00

the three levels of brightness aren't really all that different so i think i'll be fine

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 27th, 2018 17:00

Not sure what function is on the F10 key on your system, but if it’s a backlight brightness toggle, then yes you can use that, but then you’d have to cycle through all of the settings between Off and your desired brightness every time. Keeping a timeout period and waking it up by pressing an innocuous key like Ctrl seems easier to me personally, especially since I don’t really see the point of keeping a keyboard illuminated when you’re not trying to type on it, but to each his own.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 27th, 2018 20:00

@audrey21 wrote:

the three levels of brightness aren't really all that different so i think i'll be fine

You may change your mind on that when you look at them in the dark after your eyes have adjusted, but whatever works for you!

1 Message

January 4th, 2019 19:00

Any idea where the "somewhere in there" would be?  I can't find it. I see that it says backlit keyboard on the main page.  All I want to do is keep it on

February 14th, 2019 17:00

this will work , 

turn computer off

press the start button and start pressing F2 every second ,and BIOS will come up

press the + next to SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

the drop down window will have several keyboard options , press KEYBOARD ILLUMINATION

you will have all the options you will need , turn on ,off , different dormant cut offs , I will suggest turn off after 1 minute ,this gives you the best of both worlds , battery save and long enough to read a paragraph with out going dark

1 Message

September 1st, 2019 12:00

this answer definitely works it worked for me go and read the following link https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Inspiron-7567-keyboard-back-light/td-p/5136077

September 2nd, 2020 19:00

This works. Thanks!

September 2nd, 2020 19:00

I tried this and there is no backlight setting in the BIOS. Mine quite working with the last BIOS update. Seems the backlight support was removed. Please fix this as you can't see the keys without it.

No Events found!