Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JZ

10 Posts

October 20th, 2020 03:00

How to repair a brick inspiron 15 7567

I have an inspiron 15 7567 which is bricked after an interrupted bios update. (The power plug was disconnected by mistake). Now when I press the power button, the screen stays black and the fans spin at high speed. Only the power button light turns on. I have already tried to restart my machine several times. It's always the same scenario. Is there a way to flash the bios in this kind of situation? Or is there something else to do? Please help me

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 20th, 2020 03:00

Your system is new enough that it should support the BIOS recovery procedure detailed here

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln300716/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet?lang=en

10 Posts

October 20th, 2020 10:00

This is a very radical solution for me. At least, where I am now, there isn't a store that does this kind of thing or even a store that sells such material. I thought that there is maybe a way to flash the bios with a usb key as I had to see in a forum.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Vostro-3300-BIOS-Update-Failed-Recovery-Procedure-Needed/m-p/5103110
if it is possible for a vostro 3300 bricked to be brought back to life with such a method, i think it might have an outcome like this for an inspiron 15 7567. At least if anyone knows anything thing about this, it will be extremely useful to me.

10 Posts

The problem is nothing is displayed on the screen. So I don't see how I will be able to perform a bios recovery

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

If it's at the point where you can't get any response to the recovery flash drive mentioned in the Dell procedure, you're left with two options:

1.  Find a shop that can unsolder the BIOS chip, flash it in an EEPROM writer and resolder it,

or

2.  Replace the system board.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 20th, 2020 11:00

If following through the Dell recovery options produces no result, those two options are all that's left.  You may in fact have nothing on screen at first but the system will need to boot from that BIOS recovery drive mentioned in the Dell procedure.  If it can't get that far, the recovery cannot begin, and you're left with either replacing the BIOS chip or the system board.

10 Posts

October 20th, 2020 13:00

Dell does not offer a solution for failed bios updates. All it shows us is how to restore the bios (on a working machine). But on the SOLVED Vostro 3300 forum we are talking about a method that allows you to operate a bricked vostro like mine. And this solution was not published by dell. This is what makes me think that there is necessarily a method for an inspiron 15. For a Vostro 3300 we extract the hdr and rom files from the bios and we read the key on the brick pc with the End key. But for a certain inspiron says that it is rather the bin file that must be extracted. On that, I would like to have some help in this without

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 20th, 2020 14:00

That's a 10-year old system with a conventional BIOS.

Yours is a much newer system without a BIOS - it's UEFI.

Completely different worlds.

There is a key sequence to initiate the UEFI as described in the Dell recovery document.  If your system won't get to that point, it's not recoverable. It's clear you have an agenda that's blinding you to that fact, but you're welcome to try whatever you'd like.  If it works, come back and detail the process.

Everything you've posted says you have a system that failed AFTER the UEFI contents were erased, and there's not enough left to recover the BIOS in any way shape or form.  

You are certainly welcome to keep trying, but don't try to pin the lack of success on Dell having hidden something from you.  I still don't understand how disconnecting the power would have caused the crash during the update - the battery should have prevented power loss (unless you force-flashed with an empty or missing battery). 

10 Posts

October 20th, 2020 22:00

Thank you for your answer. Thank you for your answer. Your answer is much clearer now. Your answer is much clearer now. I will still try the recovery solution proposed by dell. I will still try the recovery solution proposed by dell. I would tell you if I solved my problem. I would tell you if I solved my problem. Otherwise it would be a reprogramming of the bios chip that is necessary

December 5th, 2021 05:00

Any luck trying to recover your bios? I have the exact same issue, was thinking about buying an eprom recorder but I'm not sure how it works

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 5th, 2021 06:00

An EEPROM writer is only part of what you'll need -- you'll also need a hot air rework station to remove the CMOS chip from the mainboard in order to flash and then re-solder it.  Even the inexpensive ones are a few hundred dollars --  more than the cost of a replacement system board.

No Events found!