Inspiron

Last reply by 06-13-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

How to turn off auto brightness adjust for webcam?

Hello, I bought an Inspiron (Windows 10) recently, I'm having issues with the webcam brightness. I have the brightness setting turned all the way up, but when I add more lighting in the room around me the camera brightens for a moment and then darkens. I searched online and found the instruction to uncheck the "automatically adjust color when lighting changes" option, but that function isn't available on my laptop. I also looked at changing the power settings, there isn't an option for it there either. Please help! I need to figure out how to make the lighting brighter, this is a job-related issue for my work from home gig that I need to fix asap! I thought about buying an attachable webcam, but I'm not sure that would fix the issue?

Labels (2)
Replies (64)

I managed to turn off auto-exposure using PotPlayer. That fixed the issue for me.

PotPlayer looks like a video player to me.  I don't understand how to use it to change webcam exposure in a zoom meeting.  Could you elaborate?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I"m having the same issue with no luck in resolving it, even after my IT department gave it a go. Any help from Dell would be awesome. Lighting on my camera is so terrible and leaves a purple haze around the edges at all times and the device is brand new. Please advise ASAP

Please check if you have Dynamic Tuning Driver installed.

If so, update the driver here and test it.

DELL-Nathalia M
Social Media Support, Community Manager
#IWork4Dell

(If this reply helped you solved the issue, please remember to click the option Accept as SolutionSe a resposta recebida ajudou você a resolver o problema, lembre-se de clicar na opção Aceitar como solução.)

This didnt work

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Brand new Inspiron 7400, same issue with the camera brightness going up and down.

All latest drivers /bios etc installed.

Do we have solution to this problem?

Also crackling speakers and other annoying things.

Not what I expected from Dell.

Thank You, Szlar.

No, I have not seen a reliable solution to this problem, and Dell support appears to be resigned to replacing hardware components or whole devices that has not worked either.  

A quick update from my side.  I was going to go through a highly costly to my productivity process of replacing my current Dell 14.. [still on warranty] with the next Dell laptop 15...   However, my colleague recently received the new model and had exactly the same problem.  So, I decided not to go through the swap if the likelihood of success is low and to continue relying on an external webcam.

Best Regards

Thanks, updating the driver works!

This looks like a driver forr power and thermal management solution that is used to resolve fan noise, overheating, and performance-related issues of the system.  How is that supposed to help with the webcam brightness issue?

It's not the brightness of the display, it's the automatic oversensitivity of the webcam.

I have given up... please read the history of this Dell laptop issue going on for years.   

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor