willy_chung
1 Copper

I deployed the BIOS update earlier Jan,now Win10 failed

inspiron 5457,preinstalled win10.Now I have to use win7 instead,because after upgrading BIOS to 1.3.2(which no longer exists in Dell's page),I am having blue screen starting Win10,and installing Win10。
Once I tried to click on the older BIOS exe file,it says update blocked due to unsupported downgrade.
How long should I wait until Dell release an updated BIOS firmware whose version is higher than that on my laptop?
I am desperate,and I lost all my data when installing win7 which I hate.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: I deployed the BIOS update earlier Jan,now Win10 failed

Hi willy_chung,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Please contact Dell Tech Support for assistance with this BIOS issue. You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm  

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos

If you did the bios update addressing the Spectre threat, you cannot downgrade that bios. I contacted support and this bios will block any downgrade. Unfortunately your stuck with what you got until Dell releases improved bios updates that address problems. If you look around Microsoft has released a patch that disabled some updates causing some of the problems. It was released through the Windows catalog download site and not through Windows update. This is because not everyone is having issues and you should not defeat the security patch because it will leave your system vulnerable to Spectre. Obviously their is no simple solution here, so be patient or try to defeat those earlier Windows updates to see if you system becomes stable. I imagine soon enough we should see fixes come out that address the Windows and bios issues. I pretty sure Dell does not want a repeat of what has already occurred so its doing better testing before releasing new bios updates. 

willy_chung
1 Copper

thank you

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Microsoft patch can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4078130/update-to-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-varian...

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos