Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2020 21:00

INSPIRON 15 7591 CPU OVERHEATING 99°C

Hello Dell Community, 

I am tired of this issue with my Dell Inspiron 15 7591 (i7-9750H, 16Gb DDR4, 512GB Nvme ssd, Gtx 1050 3Gb model). For the past 4 months or so, soon after purchase I noticed that the Laptop heats up a lot and going to dangerous levels of temperature to be used on lap. I decided to buy a cooling pad and that didn't help much as without any programs loaded my cpu would reach temperatures at startup itself. I deleted a few default apps, disabled few startup apps but still had issues. I contacted Dell Support and they tested, and on pre boot Diagnostics performance check, we were getting CPU thermistor values of 99°C (High) and 91°C (Low).

They sent a Technician but that's when things started getting worse. He while trying to open the back panel broke it's back panel as he was a trainee and didn't realise the 3 screws stay intact and do not come out completely. I let him change the fans as one of the fans had sometimes stopped working. 

So then another technician was sent who applied thermal paste, run a few tests and ordered the back panel for me. And also said that may be motherboard needs replacement..

On next visit another technician comes, changes motherboard, fans, heat sinks and back panel. But no gain.

As of now the high temperature are still reaching 99°C and one can clearly feel the hot body of laptop below the screen. I am worried that such temperatures will soon kill this poor laptop completely. Also I noticed my keyboards keys sometimes don't work. Example Control button, G, H alphabets etc randomly don't work and get back life later.

What should I do. Worst part is its been 4-months or so and they are testing my patience. On top Dell representatives from escalation team even went ahead to ask me what do I expect from them. Not in a rude way but clearly implying something. I told fix my laptop. Thats all. Or talk to someone technical pls. But guys any of you facing this? Any luck in finding a solution? Please help fellas. 

11 Posts

November 21st, 2020 00:00

I had heating issues  month after I got the laptop. max t6emp was 82 deg C.... but after a BIOS update, it went out magically..... it maxes out at 66 even at 100 percent usage. Try updating your BIOS... if that doesnt  work, flash the BIOS again. Hopefully this will solve your problem

2 Posts

February 19th, 2020 02:00

Try undervolting. Undervolting will help a lot. I got lucky and was able to undervolt my i5-9300h by 165mV. Most people achieve 110 to 125mV easily.

February 19th, 2020 06:00

@KJ Dell Does Undervolting void warranty? Is it acceptable by Dell?

And does it bring down the Temperature by a lot? 

2 Posts

February 19th, 2020 17:00

No, it doesn't void your warranty. It does make the laptop significantly cooler to touch and fan almost never spins in battery mode for light administrative load.

March 24th, 2020 23:00

I have the same problem and my 7591 just shutdown suddenly. Dell should look into this issue and provide a solution.

1 Message

March 29th, 2020 10:00

My 7591 also started to overheat while plugged in and closed.

53 Posts

April 30th, 2020 19:00

I also have a problem with my 7591 (i7-10510U) overheating while closed and not in use. Even if I cancel out of all apps before closing and force it to sleep from the power menu

After chasing with Dell since August-Sept 2019 till March 2020, these buggers could not solve it. And to top it off, they send me tj-max sheet of intel which shows max 100°C. So apparently their system at startups also are reaching these temperatures and when the design (L3) team could not solve it, they blamed it on intel and shut this case off. Guys this piece of machine is a waste of money. My systems crashes, applications crash because of their stupid thermals. Rather go with some other brand gaming laptop than putting your hard earned money with Dell. I had faith in their Customer support and they failed me too. Big time. I have 2 burnt Dell laptops in my house now. What a big mistake I did by purchasing another Dell with 3years premium support plus. But of no use to me. Thry won't refund. They have the worst on site technicians in preset day with hardly few months or weeks of experience. Tired of this cheating. 

I am sure u must have tried but sometimes a few folks had a issue with close lid option, the system kept running even with lids closed and they kept it in bag, which heated up the laptop as fans were running, system did not go to sleep. Check settings and ensure it stays in sleep when lids closed. I'm sure you have checked but just thought I'll put this up if it helps you or others. 

4 Posts

April 30th, 2020 20:00

turn off intel turbo boost . you will only work with max 2.6ghz ,  it's better then get thermal throttling , and you will get like 60 - 70c .

due to intel 14++nm 's hot cpu  ,and thermal heat pipe in our machine.  yes hottest laptop ever.

I just hope AMD 's ryzen2 get thunderbolt , thunderbolt is only one reason that I bought this machine because I need more monitor in my work.

turn off intel turbo boost maybe your solution.

July 8th, 2020 04:00

Is this the hex core coffee lake model?

July 9th, 2020 12:00

Yes, i7-9750H , 6 cores coffee lake architecture.

July 9th, 2020 15:00

Is it possible that s/he got a lemon (defective) model? Or does all inspiron with the 9750h suffer severely like this?

July 9th, 2020 20:00

And are there any updates in your case so far?

July 16th, 2020 14:00

Can also vouch for turning off Turboboost.

i tried undervolting and underclocking and it was still essential a laptop grill. The lowest I ever got it down too was 96 degrees. With Turboboost it’s sticking at 65 - 70.

No Events found!