Highlighted
3 Argentum

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Jump to solution

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

Labels (4)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Jump to solution

@GeekZilla.com.br wrote:

Our only hope is that since the second generation G7 will have the alienware comand center, they will extend that our first gen G7´s.

Sadly that is not quite true. The new G series will only have a lite version of the Alienware Command Center without fan control (as stated by DELL-Chris M here).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Include XPS thermal management system to G5/G7 BIOS

Jump to solution

Good news guys our efforts gave fruit DELL has released bios 1.9 HERE You can see in driver details as :

Enhancement:
- Added the Thermal Management feature in the Dell Power Manager application version 3.0. 

I think they finally decided to fix the thermals after many months and user complaints. Thank you all for your efforts on many platforms to make DELL hear us.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
115 Replies
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

+1 👍

How did you downgrade to 1.3.0?

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution
BIOS update for dell G3 from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0 is not major, so I can simply download and install the 1.3.0 version over the newer without issues.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You have my support. I cannot use the laptop for more than an hour because it gets too hot.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You have my kudo, Dell PLEASE give us this!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

We need this dell.

making the system stay quiet during gaming is very bad for the system and mine feels like an oven after 1+ hours of gaming.

I bought this "gaming laptop" to play games and i can barely do that.

This was my first dell and how this issue is resolved will be the deciding factor on if i ever buy a dell again and im sure others feel the same way.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
We really need this dell. I bought my G7 for gaming and not for office work. I can't game on it for more than an hour without it acting like an oven. If I wanted something silent and for office, I would have bought something different.
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Image of what we are asking for.Image of what we are asking for.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
This would be very useful and its badly needed by notebooks meant to play games.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm with you, man.

Dell, why would you not want to give us more control over our own devices? Especially if you have the software ready to do it. Unless you're intentionally trying to cause our computers to die early...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Totally agree :((

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

We need this Dell, I won't consider this brand next time I'm looking for a laptop if this isn't sorted out. Do the right thing. 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I bought this laptop and I own it. I don't like it one bit that Dell is trying to dictate how I use this device. It might be a gaming device, it might have also been bought by people who want quieter laptops, and I am fine with all of that.

The only way I see Dell making everybody happy is indeed to give us manual fan control when needed. I do not use my laptop for common use cases most of the time as a researcher and the sole reason why I bought this instead of the XPS 9570 with an identical CPU, RAM combination was so I would have higher power and thermal limits. You have no right to take that away from me from (from a security perspective) mandatory BIOS updates.

I want fan control.

Bump.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I hope that dell has repect for who both a expense notebook how the Dell G7.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I hope they add it to the Dell Inspiron 13 5379 as well.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Please give us any updates if a new bios is being released or not

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

you have my kudo. 

since I know the BIOS is very important for the system. I never have idea about upgrade BIOS, my G7 work perfectly on BIOS 1.3 as the factory set that I received.

about a week ago the Dell Update Icon pop up a notification about BIOS update. It doesnt show the version or detail about the update, I just know its an URGENT update. So, as you think, I click to update . . . and I sufferred the new Bios 1.5 as you guys do, the fan is quiter, more idle while when the system reach 60 Celsius, its hotter about 10 - 15 Celsius than on 1.3 version. now even daily work with few tabs chrome, Adobe After Effect and Photoshop, I have to keep my eyes on temperature of CPU, which I have never do on my 6 years old ASUS laptop....

we not buy G7 for cooling system not to be there just to looking at, we need them there to cooling down the system under load. 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've tried to bump this thread becaus dell completely ignore us and the only one thing I've get is ban from using this site. Dell, do you think this is funny or what? I bought your product and it's not workin' properly. I'm only tryin' to turn your attention. So please don't block me again.

I'm sorry for my bad english.

dell.PNG

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution
hmm strange, we need to keep this alive, it would be really cool if someone from @DELL would reply is with a position if they will take us into consideration or just ignore
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Please do it!
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I sent mine in for repairs and they replaced the heatsink. It didn't do anything!!

We NEED this feature and/or a BIOS update to revert the breaking changes in 1.4.1 and 1.5.0

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution
I'm also both hands for it. Dell please make it happen.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell, please don't ignore us.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Please @DELL, i beg you, do this!
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I'm just wondering moderators might have seen this topic but someone raised our concerns and requests to Dell Software team? how would be the best way to escalate this issue

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Fingers crossed 🤞

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

+1 100% on this, 1.5.0 on my G5 is terrible on thermals and only because of software, when fans actually kick in it gets ok, but they take way too long to activate and some cores on my 8750h reach 92° for a moment, this is absolutely unacceptable for someone like me who needs absolute stability on clocks and performance, we're not just gamers, some of us got their G3/5/7 to work too.

I received my laptop 5 days ago, I'll wait for a solution for a week, then I'll just start a campaign to warn as many as possible of this terrible blocks and send back my computer, which I'm sorry, because this is really the only problem and it's just a software design matter

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is causing an inconvenience due to the machine requiring a cooling pad in order to use it. With the cooling pad the keyboard and track pad section still gets really hot. Please provide a possible solution.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Couldn't "kudo" this enough. Please Dell, you have to address this. Give us an ETA. Or at least let us know that it's being worked on.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Wonder if they even see this

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
DELL, seriously, without some fan control this can't be called a gaming laptop. This is my first product from you, I was super excited about it and thought you were one of the best brands, if not the best. Please don't try to change my mind. With BIOS 1.6.1 and as much powerful AC mode as possible, my fans are completely turned off until 70°C ! That is not what you call a gaming laptop, I wouldn't mind them running all the time at this mode. Please 😞
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

All,

We escalated these complaints to the Inspiron G platform team.

At this time, there are no plans to add a user thermal management system or user fan control to the 2018 Inspiron G series laptops.

Inspiron G series BIOS 1.6.1 G5/G7 and 1.4.0 G3 were released to address FPS (frames per second) concerns. With these BIOS installed, the fans should  speed up once 75°C is reached. This is working as designed.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for the escalation, it is much appreciated. I am hoping there will be some kind of temperature control soon in a BIOS update. The CPU temperatures on the same exact conditions are about 10 Celsius higher than the previous BIOS updates. The temperatures have gone from a relatively safe 85C to a dangerous 95C. This temperature increase will definitely lower the lifetime of my CPU. Sure, the temperature isn't hitting the TJunction Temperature that Intel has set for the I7-8750H but running at so near the TJunction is definitely unsafe. You don't run your car just below overheating temperatures for hours at times. Why should a CPU be any different?

At this point even an option to run fans at maximum speed at all times is huge improvement because it will significantly help my hardware survive longer, even though it may be a bit louder. If I have some kind of manual control of fan speeds that would solve these problems. Again, thank you for your escalation.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I don't understand what's the point in speeding up fans after 75°C with such a long delay too. A core gets to 75°C, the fans start spinning after so long that when they actually kick in properly the cpu is already at 98°C on some cores. This is killing our computers and it would be fixed by simply giving us the opportunity to get our fans to speed up at full when ramping after 55°C or so. I'm sorry and I do know that it's something a mod can't decide, but I now really want to have my money back, I should see if I'm still in the 30 days from purchase. I guess this time Linus Tech Tips didn't really get a deep understanding this computers.

EDIT: these temperatures are the ones I'm getting by booting up my g5. it was idle before, and my room is 18° at the moment. You can see which apps are running in the background during boot on the bottom right part of the screenshot

asd.PNG

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@DELL-Chris M

Thank you for addressing this. It's highly appreciated that this feedback was heard.

That said, many of us (users/customers) believe that fans should operate an max capacity upon reaching lower temps, say, 50-60°C. Clearly it wouldn't hurt to lower the reaction temperature. 

If possible, please verify that G platform team is aware of people's concerns and considers releasing a solution (possibly the fan management addition to the already created tool).

Thanks!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have the exact same need. I use my G7 for dev work with 2/3 vms running all the time. Cpu does not hit 75°C but the keyboard becomes uncomfortably warm *over time*. I really need the fans to spin at a level between the low 2200rpm and 4700rpm during these times to keep thing cooler.

G7 is a beautiful gaming laptop that you can easily take to a business meeting without looking unprofessional (unlike most other competing brands). I do gaming on my G7 when I am away from home for a long period of time for work. G7 is a perfect match for my work and play ratio.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@DELL-Chris M

Thank you for your attention on the subject. However sad it is that you think $1000 is the entry range; I must, furthermore, point out how insane a temperature 75°C is for a "0db fan" profile. You are talking near 30°C higher of a temp on the CPUthan what is the universal comfortable-to-touch warmness on a surface in a very very badly insulated (keyboard area to the internals) laptop. 

Firstly, it is not like the G series have great cooling to begin with to keep everything cool and stable with the older (BIOS v1.3 and prior) fan profile. Secondly, with the G5 the users already have to undervolt the CPU to its lowest limits (talking about 5 to 10°C drop in temperatures here due to the excessive voltages your BIOSes use by default) and replace the thermal materials you have used (which are, to say the least, subpar). These two processes together drop nearly 30°C from load temps on the G5. The older profiles would curve far more conveniently to keep the keyboard and palm rest area cooler, the laptop never ever throttled at its full turbo boost and GPU temps were never an issue to begin with, anyway. With BIOS 1.4 you took these last points away. You turned a laptop that was cool to the touch, quiet enough in idle, and expectedly loud - yet also cool enough in to a machine that was unpleasant to touch even at idle. 

Since the 1.5 and particularly with the 1.6 BIOS releases I have noticed the fan curve has gotten a lot better. However, my points stand firm and I am capable of providing you scientific testing on the subject matter. Also, to return back to my original point. A $1000 laptop is not a cheap laptop, and you are further assuming we got the base model also. I had invested heavily in to the G5 with an nvme upgrade, 32GB RAM, 1060 in GPU to have an actual workstation machine in order for me not to have to connect to my workstation at home for heavier workloads.

You took all my happiness away with what are essentially forced BIOS updates in my case as I am in a security critical environment at work and have to have the latest updates by workplace rules. You now tell me my device is a budged device (which it definitely is not in my country of origin) and expect me to ever purchase or recommend any of your devices again? 

Sincerely, an academic and researcher; who has, since the beginning of the summer, steered its institution away from Dell in near quarter of a million USD in purchases due to your anti-consumer friendly behavior, on top of overall plethora of issues I have had with near all of the 10 devices we had purchased from you for testing in the beginning of the summer 2018. I shall expect not to recommend you for a long long time to our IT department. HP and Lenovo has been treating us way better, recently.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

hello there!

by design shouldnt the g team aim for lower temps to extend the hardware life?

its better to have dell provide this tool than users having to iser 3rd party apps to control the fans and since you have the app for the xps series why cant the g series have it as well?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

DELL-Chris M, please help us bring this feature to the G7.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

We escalated these complaints to the Inspiron G platform team. At this time, there are no plans to add a user thermal management system or user fan control to the 2018 Inspiron G series laptops. If the platform team ever decides to change this, they would release the necessary BIOS on the driver page. All you can do going forward is periodically check the driver page for your specific Inspiron G model.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Is there no way we can formally request the Dell platform team? I don't know of any users that reject this function to these equipment. It's a request that will add value to your product. See the reviews on YouTube about this equipment. All complaints are about overheating!

As I stated on ‎11-27-2018 10:19 AM and ‎12-05-2018 07:34 AM, we escalated the complaints to the platform team. Their response to us was =
At this time, there are no plans to add a user thermal management system or user fan control to the 2018 Inspiron G series laptops.
DELL-Chris M

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I don't know if you guys ever visit the Dell subreddit, but if you have, I'm sure you've seen the plethora of threads about overheating, some guy even burnt his hand touching the surface. Yes, the CPU can withstand up to 100C, but surely the battery will degrade much faster if the CPU has to reach 75C for the fans to spin, or? 

On another note, there is a user there u/DellCares, we have no idea if this user is an official liaison between that place and Dell, but it keeps giving the same almost pre-programmed advice, what gives? 

I know the user overheating-complaints are but a drop in the ocean of Dell users who don't give a f, but is Dell even aware of the fact that there IS an issue?

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

There are several DELL G7 users that want this resource to theirs notebook... It would soulve a lot of complaints regarding thermal issues during gaming and normal usage.

It would make both types of customers happier, who wants the laptop quiet&hot or loud&cool.

I dont see why it is not the company interest to implement this resource to this product...

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Where's the solution? Almost one year and nothing...

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

No solution even NO ANSWER at all !! <I replied on this thread with our stance on 11/27. DELL-Chris M> First time I bought a dell laptop and I regret that. Wish that I bought msi gp63, same price, same specs but no thermal problem, it also ships with fan control software installed on. We are begging to Dell for fan control through 3 months but no answer came up. What a waste.

Highlighted

Jump to solution
I prefer to think that Dell has its way to listen its customers. And makes me think: is it the right way to report the problem? Maybe it is time to make posts in blogs, tweet this problem, publish on facebook, make a community of this problem. Is that you want to Dell? I think not. But it'll happen if you don't listen to us. We are good people that want to have some control over our own PC. That's it. Please, listen to us.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
I think we should find a way to let them know about this issue, i bought this laptop and not the xps 15 because of the better thermal management so, what's happening, it's pretty ironic :/.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

LOL I got it for the same reason over the Acer. Bought a dell 15+ years ago one of the first XPS's. Thing was a <profane> back then not much has changed in quality or common sense I see. Never going Dell again. Took me over 15 years to go back to Dell and I'm regretting it everyday.  

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

They would most certainly start to pay attention to you if you tweet or if you somehow get a "tech youtuber" to voice the issues.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Does this issue apply to all G-series computer? I've commanded a G3 computer and if it's the case i'd like to know it so I can cancel my command.

Sorry for my uncorrect english.