Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

1 Message

November 24th, 2018 14:00

DELL, seriously, without some fan control this can't be called a gaming laptop. This is my first product from you, I was super excited about it and thought you were one of the best brands, if not the best. Please don't try to change my mind. With BIOS 1.6.1 and as much powerful AC mode as possible, my fans are completely turned off until 70°C ! That is not what you call a gaming laptop, I wouldn't mind them running all the time at this mode. Please :(

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 27th, 2018 08:00

All,

We escalated these complaints to the Inspiron G platform team.

At this time, there are no plans to add a user thermal management system or user fan control to the 2018 Inspiron G series laptops.

Inspiron G series BIOS 1.6.1 G5/G7 and 1.4.0 G3 were released to address FPS (frames per second) concerns. With these BIOS installed, the fans should  speed up once 75°C is reached. This is working as designed.

7 Posts

November 27th, 2018 17:00

Thank you for the escalation, it is much appreciated. I am hoping there will be some kind of temperature control soon in a BIOS update. The CPU temperatures on the same exact conditions are about 10 Celsius higher than the previous BIOS updates. The temperatures have gone from a relatively safe 85C to a dangerous 95C. This temperature increase will definitely lower the lifetime of my CPU. Sure, the temperature isn't hitting the TJunction Temperature that Intel has set for the I7-8750H but running at so near the TJunction is definitely unsafe. You don't run your car just below overheating temperatures for hours at times. Why should a CPU be any different?

At this point even an option to run fans at maximum speed at all times is huge improvement because it will significantly help my hardware survive longer, even though it may be a bit louder. If I have some kind of manual control of fan speeds that would solve these problems. Again, thank you for your escalation.

22 Posts

November 28th, 2018 06:00

I don't understand what's the point in speeding up fans after 75°C with such a long delay too. A core gets to 75°C, the fans start spinning after so long that when they actually kick in properly the cpu is already at 98°C on some cores. This is killing our computers and it would be fixed by simply giving us the opportunity to get our fans to speed up at full when ramping after 55°C or so. I'm sorry and I do know that it's something a mod can't decide, but I now really want to have my money back, I should see if I'm still in the 30 days from purchase. I guess this time Linus Tech Tips didn't really get a deep understanding this computers.

EDIT: these temperatures are the ones I'm getting by booting up my g5. it was idle before, and my room is 18° at the moment. You can see which apps are running in the background during boot on the bottom right part of the screenshot

asd.PNG

4 Posts

November 28th, 2018 09:00

@DELL-Chris M

Thank you for addressing this. It's highly appreciated that this feedback was heard.

That said, many of us (users/customers) believe that fans should operate an max capacity upon reaching lower temps, say, 50-60°C. Clearly it wouldn't hurt to lower the reaction temperature. 

If possible, please verify that G platform team is aware of people's concerns and considers releasing a solution (possibly the fan management addition to the already created tool).

Thanks!

14 Posts

November 28th, 2018 11:00

I have the exact same need. I use my G7 for dev work with 2/3 vms running all the time. Cpu does not hit 75°C but the keyboard becomes uncomfortably warm *over time*. I really need the fans to spin at a level between the low 2200rpm and 4700rpm during these times to keep thing cooler.

G7 is a beautiful gaming laptop that you can easily take to a business meeting without looking unprofessional (unlike most other competing brands). I do gaming on my G7 when I am away from home for a long period of time for work. G7 is a perfect match for my work and play ratio.

10 Posts

November 29th, 2018 01:00

@DELL-Chris M

Thank you for your attention on the subject. However sad it is that you think $1000 is the entry range; I must, furthermore, point out how insane a temperature 75°C is for a "0db fan" profile. You are talking near 30°C higher of a temp on the CPUthan what is the universal comfortable-to-touch warmness on a surface in a very very badly insulated (keyboard area to the internals) laptop. 

Firstly, it is not like the G series have great cooling to begin with to keep everything cool and stable with the older (BIOS v1.3 and prior) fan profile. Secondly, with the G5 the users already have to undervolt the CPU to its lowest limits (talking about 5 to 10°C drop in temperatures here due to the excessive voltages your BIOSes use by default) and replace the thermal materials you have used (which are, to say the least, subpar). These two processes together drop nearly 30°C from load temps on the G5. The older profiles would curve far more conveniently to keep the keyboard and palm rest area cooler, the laptop never ever throttled at its full turbo boost and GPU temps were never an issue to begin with, anyway. With BIOS 1.4 you took these last points away. You turned a laptop that was cool to the touch, quiet enough in idle, and expectedly loud - yet also cool enough in to a machine that was unpleasant to touch even at idle. 

Since the 1.5 and particularly with the 1.6 BIOS releases I have noticed the fan curve has gotten a lot better. However, my points stand firm and I am capable of providing you scientific testing on the subject matter. Also, to return back to my original point. A $1000 laptop is not a cheap laptop, and you are further assuming we got the base model also. I had invested heavily in to the G5 with an nvme upgrade, 32GB RAM, 1060 in GPU to have an actual workstation machine in order for me not to have to connect to my workstation at home for heavier workloads.

You took all my happiness away with what are essentially forced BIOS updates in my case as I am in a security critical environment at work and have to have the latest updates by workplace rules. You now tell me my device is a budged device (which it definitely is not in my country of origin) and expect me to ever purchase or recommend any of your devices again? 

Sincerely, an academic and researcher; who has, since the beginning of the summer, steered its institution away from Dell in near quarter of a million USD in purchases due to your anti-consumer friendly behavior, on top of overall plethora of issues I have had with near all of the 10 devices we had purchased from you for testing in the beginning of the summer 2018. I shall expect not to recommend you for a long long time to our IT department. HP and Lenovo has been treating us way better, recently.

15 Posts

November 29th, 2018 03:00

Totally agree :((

1 Message

November 30th, 2018 17:00

Hi everyone, I've tried to find this option in my new Dell G3 for couple days and didn't realize it was only for XPS series. A little disappointed. I know there's a work around for controlling the fan, but I don't want to take the risk (Disable Secure boot). Please Dell,  please let us have an option to control the fan in next BIOS update. I know there are many complaints about new BIOS update for G3/G5/G7 line. But if you give us the ability to control fan, all problems will go away.

Thanks.

December 2nd, 2018 09:00

hello there!

by design shouldnt the g team aim for lower temps to extend the hardware life?

its better to have dell provide this tool than users having to iser 3rd party apps to control the fans and since you have the app for the xps series why cant the g series have it as well?

December 5th, 2018 04:00

DELL-Chris M, please help us bring this feature to the G7.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 5th, 2018 05:00

We escalated these complaints to the Inspiron G platform team. At this time, there are no plans to add a user thermal management system or user fan control to the 2018 Inspiron G series laptops. If the platform team ever decides to change this, they would release the necessary BIOS on the driver page. All you can do going forward is periodically check the driver page for your specific Inspiron G model.

December 5th, 2018 10:00

Is there no way we can formally request the Dell platform team? I don't know of any users that reject this function to these equipment. It's a request that will add value to your product. See the reviews on YouTube about this equipment. All complaints are about overheating!

As I stated on ‎11-27-2018 10:19 AM and ‎12-05-2018 07:34 AM, we escalated the complaints to the platform team. Their response to us was =
At this time, there are no plans to add a user thermal management system or user fan control to the 2018 Inspiron G series laptops.
DELL-Chris M

15 Posts

December 11th, 2018 05:00

I don't know if you guys ever visit the Dell subreddit, but if you have, I'm sure you've seen the plethora of threads about overheating, some guy even burnt his hand touching the surface. Yes, the CPU can withstand up to 100C, but surely the battery will degrade much faster if the CPU has to reach 75C for the fans to spin, or? 

On another note, there is a user there u/DellCares, we have no idea if this user is an official liaison between that place and Dell, but it keeps giving the same almost pre-programmed advice, what gives? 

I know the user overheating-complaints are but a drop in the ocean of Dell users who don't give a f, but is Dell even aware of the fact that there IS an issue?

December 23rd, 2018 14:00

Just a bump to remind Dell that we still need this tool. I dont see a reason not to release the XPS command center to Inspiron Users. I mean it's better for Dell to let us have this tool than for users to be using alternate tools that can mess up  the fan control.

No Events found!