Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

6 Posts

January 4th, 2019 07:00

I don't know if the g3 is also affected by this issue, but i'd suggest you to cancel your order if you are still in time, Dell seems to doesn't care about the problem that themself have created. At this point i cannot really recomment to buy anything from them.

26 Posts

January 4th, 2019 09:00

Thank you. I just also tweeted #fixgseriesbios If we can grow in numbers, we can make Dell aware about that major issue.

26 Posts

G3 is the same series as g5/g7 and if I were you I would cancel that shipment. They bricked these (g3/g5/g7) series with useless bios version (versions 1.4, 1.5, 1.6) and now they don't try to find any solution to that major problem,dont even listen their customers.

Here is official Dell Twitter Support https://twitter.com/DellCares I will message them daily until they ban me or fix the problem (if they ban me i will open another account and keep trying)

I will tweet  #Dellgiveg5g7usersfancontrol   and   #Dellfixg5g7biosfancurve hashtags until Dell fix that issue.

You can advice your friends these hashtags to tweet. We can make Dell care about that issue. I paid money for a gaming laptop not for some throttling heating useless junk!

6 Posts

I'm with you, i'd add also #fixgseriesbios.

I'll also try to contact the support a let them know about this issue, i suggest to do that to everyone who is experiencing this problem.

11 Posts

January 4th, 2019 14:00

Did anyone of you tryied to downgrade the bios?

I just asked dell on Twitter and they told me that it's available.

Screenshot_20190104-234858_Chrome.jpg

Like I said use it how you will. Not claiming to be an expert here. I have been troubleshooting these issues from 1000 different angles. What I have in the pic is what works on my machine. I still throttle from time to time inside the extreme tuning utility. However, it has yet to effect my game play in any game. D2 specifically would drop frames like crazy due to the throttle. It no longer happens although temps still get high from time to time. 

Its a band-aid not a solution. That needs to come from DELL not me lol  

LOL I got it for the same reason over the Acer. Bought a dell 15+ years ago one of the first XPS's. Thing was a  back then not much has changed in quality or common sense I see. Never going Dell again. Took me over 15 years to go back to Dell and I'm regretting it everyday.  

6 Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

The older version is available but is impossible to downgrade, i tried. I'm contacting them on twitter about this issue and posted every link related to this argoument, hope this can help somehow. If a lot of us do the same thing(contact them) we could get some attention from them.

11 Posts

January 5th, 2019 00:00

Wich pc of the G-series do you have? Maybe  the bios can be downgrade only with the G3 ?

I'm saying that because they told me that downgrade will be available on my system ( G3 ).

26 Posts

January 5th, 2019 03:00

Unfortunately Dell techs don't have any idea about bios downgrading. After 1.4.0 update and other releases( ver. 1.5. and 1.6.1) It is impossible to downgrade to previous versions. I tried all possible ways to downgrade, bios recovery, USB flashing but nope there is no way!! they blocked it even their techs don't know about it or they just pretend. They also ship newly purchased laptops with bios version 1.4.0 or 1.5.0 so you stuck with useless bios version at start

If you check  the link below you can clearly see in "release notes" they blocked downgrading after version 1.4.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9i2c6y/dell_g5_5587_dell_g7_7588_vostro_7580_bios_141/

I also contacted with Dell on twitter https://twitter.com/dellcares about this issue and every week I will message them until they release fan control software or fix the BIOS

I also found <not allowed>. There is already 142 have signed. It would be useful to sign to get Dells attention to that major issue.

Read the DCF (Dell Community Forum) Terms of Use

9 Posts

January 6th, 2019 22:00

7E987268-67F8-4B4F-8C74-4BCCB236D32A.png

oh and they mentioned they would forward my issues to the product engineering team. Don’t know if it means anything. Probably means nothing much. Maybe we should all DM them, so they would send all of our feedbacks to the team responsible for this. We can do this guys! Just dm them the matter at https://twitter.com/DellCaresB9FCE8E6-9327-416F-8B88-1B3937B29E7B.png

9 Posts

January 6th, 2019 22:00

Guys I have a DELL G5 (1050Ti GPU and i7 8th gen CPU). Overheating is an issue. Undervolted CPU and GPU and temperature and its better than before. But my BIOS is still at Version 1.0.1 . Would I make it worse or better if I update it to the latest BIOS? 1.6.1? Also I messaged Dell on twitter about the fan control issue. This is what they said.C000BA6B-5402-4F21-9FC8-419730EB7D8D.png

E607DD63-488F-4D88-A4CD-821F58FC58A8.png

A662A11F-9473-443B-A341-CD8E4D82A1C2.png

26 Posts

January 7th, 2019 01:00

I advise you not to upgrade your bios beyond version 1.3. All throttling issues started with bios update 1.4 and they didn't fix these issues in another releases (1.5 and 1.6 versions are same as 1.4.) As far as I know upgrading to version 1.3 is safe for now.

I also contacted with https://twitter.com/DellCares on twitter and they said to forward my issue engineering team and they will get back to me in few business days. I think same as you if we can all DM them they will eventually fix that problem

9 Posts

January 7th, 2019 08:00

More people need to do this. Dell should become aware that many people are facing this issue. They should send so many feedbacks from us to the engineering team behind this that the team could no longer ignore our requests. I hope this works. Or else we’ll all be stuck with undervolting and cpu turbo limiting forever.

6 Posts

January 7th, 2019 08:00

I contacted them too and they made me do some test to send the results to the product engeneer team. My pc have some serious trouble with performance during any gaming session, i'm experiencing huge fps drops and the laptop become really hot, uncomfortable to use, so i'm trying to return it. To anyone who have just bought this laptop or want to buy it, don't buy it or return it, i dubt this situation is going to solve anytime soon.

No Events found!