Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

1 Message

January 8th, 2019 22:00

I am very disappointed with Dell. I opted to buy an expensive machine because of the quality associated with the brand. However, after my computer shows itself a mobile toaster, I decided to search the internet for a poor fan control.
I was very sad and disappointed to discover that the brand clearly ignores the problem and leaves its customers helpless. really, very disappointed with Dell.

January 11th, 2019 04:00

Promoting that is not allowed on this Forum. Read the Terms of Use

26 Posts

January 11th, 2019 10:00

I documented everything on internet and send to @Dellcares and after waiting one week they responded to me;

dell.png

What a joke! I can find that information on internet! They just saying we designed it that way and whatever issue you have just get used and live with it. It doesn't matter I will try much harder until they fix the problem.

Now I am looking for every tweets about Dell's these G5/G7 series and I will reply under these tweets about bios issue until Dell decide to fix the problem Some Tech's tweets can be displayed million times. I bought that device for a Gaming laptop. It doesn't matter how loud the fans for me but heat and performance issues are the real deal. I will try until they fix the problem no matter how hard.

10 Posts

January 12th, 2019 05:00

Still wait for Dell BIOS next Upgrade . I want no more overheating ,stop Battery 15W TDP throttling

11 Posts

January 12th, 2019 15:00

Hello guys.

I've maybe found a solution. I didn't try it but someone did and it seems to work. Here is what he said :

"I've literally just registered to say this: thank you. me and many many other Dell G3/G5/G7 users are currently having issues with the fans being bad due to a recent BIOS update, plus our i7 8750H chip is one of the hotter ones too... So yeah, anyway, thank you again. I've finally tamed the fans on my laptop and it's a blessing to hear it breathe.

Combination of -0.125V undervolting and "if t>=55°C then RPM=4900, else RPM=2200" logic kind of solves the problem for now.

Cheers!"

I'm not english speaker, so i have to say that I didn't understand everything. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-how-to-control-fans-on-dell-laptops-under-windows.805317/

10 Posts

January 12th, 2019 16:00

Un client,

Need to run Windows in Test Mode for that solution which is not compatible with some games/programs

26 Posts

January 13th, 2019 04:00

Unfortunately, that is not a solution. First of all, you can't play decent games in windows test mode, second I tried undervolting with Intel XTU, my settings was, -0.155V core voltage, minimized turbo boost power max to 44 and turbo boost short power max 65 with these settings laptop began power limit throttling. Although I undervolted so much temps still hit to 90 °C time to time. As long as fans don't kick in 50-60 °C cpu temps will go up to unaccepted levels, even if we undervolt our devices. There is no permanent solution. All we can do is to plaster that wound but the real treatment must come from Dell. They must fix what they broke with BIOS 1.4.

6 Posts

January 13th, 2019 06:00

Bad news guys, their last answer was that this bios version was designed this way and so it is working well. I returned my g5.

12 Posts

January 19th, 2019 00:00

The fan curve is not the problem. There is something else. The computer is running way to hot after i updated to the 1.6.1 bios. It spikes so fast to 100c that no matter if the fan was spinning or not. It's almost like the heatsink wasn't touching the die. So i think they must know what is going on but the solution might not be the cheapest one , for theme, so they won't fix it. It feels like their heatsink has an issue. Maybe it bends after a while and stop touching the die. Another problem with this computer, which i don't have on my i5 6600k is some stutters. When i open a tab on explorer the computer freezes for half a second even though the power settings is set to better performance. Something is definitely wrong with the bios too. Before the computer was fine. Also another thing that i noted is that they don't make the new audio driver available anymore. I've just installed the old one because the new one was not compatible with Maxwave audio pro software. But the old one has audio stutter problem whereas the new one doesn't have it. So after i rolled back to the old one and got tired of the stutter i went over to Dell web site to download the new one again and it's not available anymore.

I'm planning on opening my computer to change the thermal paste and do to see if it improves. My computer is about 3 months old. It shouldn't have this problems..

26 Posts

January 19th, 2019 02:00

My friend, I know very well that is all about fan curve optimization. Everything was good back then bios 1.3.0 then everything ruined after 1.4 bios, now my device thermal throttles, cpu temps suddenly jumps to unacceptable levels (98-100°C), fans react so delayed my laptop becomes like an oven. As a gamer; I don't care how loud my fans are but it is vital to have cool internal system for better performance. As I paid that device for gaming it is my right to have decent cooling system not some crippled fans which just sits and don't react until 75°C. Now I am trying every possible way reaching out Dell to MAKE THEM FIX WHAT THEY BROKE and I need your help with that, If we can grow in numbers they can't ignore us any longer.

1- If we can give enough feedback to them, they will pass that information to their engineering team and they will fix the fan curve on the next bios release. Direct messaging to mods about that issue with our service tags may prove useful. ( https://www.dell.com/community/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/153533 we can DM to Chris about that issue but don't forget to add SERVICE TAG)

2- After given feedbacks we need to be heard also. I think the best way to achieve that is on twitter. I am tweeting about that issue daily with adding @DellCares @DELL @MichaelDell @Direct2Dell them to my tweets. I am also replying under some kinda PC mag PC world, tech's accounts, these tweets can be seen million times. ( You can also DM @DellCares with your service tags for feedback.

If we can give enough feedback and try hard enough them to hear our voice DELL WILL HAVE THAT ISSUE FIXED EVENTUALLY

January 19th, 2019 13:00

I ended up getting a razer core x with a RTX 2070 founders for my G7. Works very well. Super happy I spent another $800 just to get this laptop working for games. Take a long walk of a short pier dell! And dont bother telling me how it went. I already know and dont care... 

9 Posts

January 24th, 2019 11:00

Has anyone tried installing the newest BIOS release(1.8.0) from 22nd Jan, 2019? I really hope they bettered the fan curve with this BIOS update. If anyone has installed it and used it, do share your experience!

4 Posts

January 24th, 2019 13:00

I get the BIOS release(1.8.0) and the thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 is not availabe. I really disappointed because my latitude latitude 5590 has the option available and this computer doesn't have the same power than the G7 need to dissipated

Sin título.jpg

9 Posts

January 25th, 2019 01:00

How is the overall fan setup? The same?

26 Posts

January 25th, 2019 10:00

Don't bother guys by trying new bios, I already asked @Dellcares about bios release 1.8.0 and they said it is not for thermal problems so they don't still give a flying f... about that issue or they are such a smarta.. that so many users are wrong about that and their bios is so perfect.

dell thermal 2.png

Anyway, first time i bought a Dell and I regret that. As I regret it i will also make DELL regret to sell that laptop to me then make it useless piece of junk. I began to think they are ruined our devices purposely because new G5-G7's are out now. What kind of marketing strategy is that to ruin predecessor series to sell new ones ? I am still tweeting every day until that issue is solved NO MATTER WHEN..

No Events found!