Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Include XPS thermal management system to G3/G5/G7 BIOS

Hi Dell,

Considering the amount of issues related to thermal management and fan control in the G-Series I would like to suggest you include in the next BIOS version the same thermal management system of XPS line and allow it to be controlled via Dell Power Manager the same way XPS line works (with Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance profiles), this will save you a lot of headache and returns due to systems running too hot or too loud when it's just a matter of software management.

G-Series laptop may be entry-level gaming pcs but its users are very demanding when it comes to stability and controls, so it would make sense, I want to be able to let me g3 be really quiet during work time and when I want to game, I would like to be able to set it to high performance and system ramp up fans to keep thermals under control and excellent performance.

I believe other owners will agree with me.

Best regards. 

Ricardo

15 Posts

January 26th, 2019 07:00

that seems to be the same DellCares who replies on reddit, and if that's the case then I think the einsteins over at Dell really have no idea that there is a heating problem

14 Posts

January 26th, 2019 11:00

I have installed new BIOS 1.8 cooling hasn't changed... I did install this version as i was hoping wacom cintiq issues will be resolved (they aren't), and I don't play games so TT isn't issue that much... pretty much i dont dont care about this laptop anyway and i will sell it as i am tired of waiting dell 1 month + to plug in cintiq and confirm problem... 

January 28th, 2019 17:00

I am on 1.2.1 bios still and my machine has just started overheating during PUBG.  It has never done this before.  It is super hot in the area above the keyboard but the air coming from the fans in the back isn't really all that hot.  It makes me think the heat sink isn't working right.

1 Message

January 30th, 2019 02:00

I have G5 5587 and after upgraded my BIOS from 1.3 to 1.8 I have problem with temperature. Cooling fan starts too late. Now I can't downgrade my BIOS..

January 30th, 2019 08:00

Our only hope is that since the second generation G7 will have the alienware comand center, they will extend that our first gen G7´s.

Right now I´ve got the temps under control but

1- I have the I5 8300H GTX 1050Ti setup, and so it doesnt heat up as much as the i7.

2- Undervolted and reduced the turbo.

3- Using a laptop pad to keep things cool (I can lower the temp between 5 to 10 degrees).

There´s also  the Dell Fan Utility, but since it only runs on test mode it´s not quite a good solution.

We can only hope that dell listen to us and changes the fan curve, so lets keep this topic active, Lets all post at least once a day every day until they change the curve or give us the Command Center.

15 Posts

February 1st, 2019 08:00

Hopefully most of you saw this thread on reddit. Some beautiful soul came up with a fan utility which allows you to set a functioning fan curve. I haven't tried it myself, but instead I installed the latest (beta) version of HWinfo, which now also allows you to force the fans into spinning.

26 Posts

February 1st, 2019 09:00

Thanks for the heads up.. DELL totally ignore G5 G7 users a while, I will try that A.S.A.P.  hope that fix the problem

February 5th, 2019 06:00

the site says the issue is solved, how is this solved? I stilll couldn't find any working way to confugure fan speed on my Dell G3 The fans are way too loud when CPU continously stays at 50-65 degrees C which is a completely safe temperature for a CPU, I really need to control this, because this is a gaming laptop after all! I don't want my laptop to be loud when it's doing nothing or just playing a movie or something

February 7th, 2019 09:00

Apparently Dell's stance is that they don't care about is. I literally just purchased this laptop and I'm waiting for it to be delivered, and everywhere I go I'm seeing these thermal issues. I'm tempted to cancel my order and purchase from another manufacturer that allows seeings of fan profiles as I'm a user that would keep them maxed out for maximum budget performance. 

February 7th, 2019 12:00

I recommend looking at MSI GF 63. Thin and light, has i7 8750h option and has decent gaming performance, good battery life and fan control. Saw it and tested it a little in a computer shop today and I really like it, really considering selling my Dell G3 now and getting GF63 instead. Oh it's also got a bezelless screen.

February 9th, 2019 07:00

That's the best idea I ever listened in this forum. As a costumer I recognize that buy a Dell G7 7588 was a mistake. 

3 Posts

February 11th, 2019 06:00

It is really a shame that this model doesn't have the thermal management system yet. I spent a lot of money in my computer and I expected it to have this kind of control system.

13 Posts

February 14th, 2019 10:00

Why this marked as solved???

February 21st, 2019 05:00

Well I just noticed that the New (New) Dell G7 15' has the i5 8300H GTX 1050Ti and it uses the Alienware Command Center and OC Control. Now it even installs on the G7 7588, but it won't show you the fan control, so I think all we need now is a bios update to allow us to controle those settings. If you guys wanna take a look the drivers and apps for the new G7 are here https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/g-series-15-7590-laptop/drivers Now all we need is Dell's good will.

February 21st, 2019 05:00

Kinda strange, cause if you take a look a the G7 7590 drivers page, there's an OC Control there and it states that's used to control the system fans.

No Events found!