senpaidev
1 Nickel

Incredibly low speeds on NVMe SSD on Dell 7577

I have a dell 7577 and lately the system was freezing a lot and not performing well. I decided to do a quick test of the NVMe drive read write speeds and they are incredibly slow.

Screenshot (100).pngToshiba NVMe SSDScreenshot (101).pngSamsung SATA SSD

Like in the picture above even my SATA based 3 year old Samsung SSD performs better than the Toshiba NVMe SSD that came with the system. It has been just 5 months since I got this system, and this is the state of the SSD. Please help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Incredibly low speeds on NVMe SSD on Dell 7577

Fyi, image uploads to this forum are only visible to the person who posted them and to Dell reps.  But the issue of slow write performance on Toshiba NVMe SSDs has been reported several times both in this forum and elsewhere on the Internet, and most threads on this forum reporting this issue also focus on the Inspiron 7577.  Someone found that if you benchmark before installing any Intel drivers of any kind, it benchmarks much higher, but that's obviously not a real solution, and Dell has said that this performance is a design consequence of the Toshiba SSD.  So if you want better performance, the only real solution at the moment is to swap that out for a Samsung SSD.

0 Kudos
senpaidev
1 Nickel

So basically do I have to go out and buy a Samsung SSD just to get the level of performance an SSD in a laptop is supposed to give? 

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

@senpaidevwrote:

So basically do I have to go out and buy a Samsung SSD just to get the level of performance an SSD in a laptop is supposed to give? 

As I said, that's currently the only real solution.  I definitely did NOT say it was ideal or even appropriate.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

One additional option might be to try getting a warranty replacement for the SSD in the hopes that you'll get a Samsung unit directly from Dell.  They use both Toshiba and Samsung as suppliers, but based on the other threads about this issue, Dell will not guarantee that the replacement SSD will be a Samsung unit, and even getting a warranty exchange approved in the first place has proven difficult, since as I said, Dell's position is that the SSD is performing as designed and technically they never guaranteed a specific level of write performance on these systems like they do with the Precision systems where you can order a specific "class" of SSD.  The claim that it's performing as designed is questionable at best given the more recent finding that it performs much better before any Intel drivers are installed, and the "we didn't promise any specific performance" claim is also irritating given that the Samsung SSDs that Dell also ships with this system perform appropriately, not to mention that it's not in Dell's interest in terms of brand image to ship SSDs that perform poorly, and even less so to ship systems with radically different storage performance characteristics based purely on luck of the draw.

So like I said, definitely not ideal or even appropriate, but that's where things stand at the moment.

0 Kudos
Grossimatte
1 Nickel

Did you find a solution for your problem?

I am having pretty much the same issue with an XPS 15 9560.

0 Kudos